Search This Blog

Monday, February 6, 2012

Dreamy Journals: Papaya.

I love reading, but I also love books as objects. This is one reason that Oliver's sudden interest in touching books--ruffling the pages, closing the cover--is so thrilling. As you may have realized, I love writing in a journal. But journals are glorious for their own sakes. They are (or should be) beautiful objects. They also represent endless possibility, and they can inspire people to chase those possibilities and record their journeys and wonders.

I've purchased and scribbling in a great many journals from a great many shops and companies. So I'd like to write about some of them. I'm starting with Papaya. This company's journals truly are dreamy. They seem to spring from a certain kind of wonderland--striking (like cracked ink bottles and tossed glitter on pavement) rather than whimsical and sweet.

 I didn't discover this company until a few years ago. I was at Joseph-Beth booksellers (the location has since closed), looking for a gift for my fellow bookseller friend who was moving to Scotland. I found this, and it seemed perfect. I would probably not be brash enough to write in a book with any form of nudity on the cover (even the most inoffensive and artistic, like this), but she would. I think she liked the gift. I wonder if she's written in the journal or if she's saving it. I can't find the journal online anymore, but this is the design.

I didn't buy myself one of these books until much later. The first was a small green journal (ah, shouldn't more journals be green?) with a conch and Listen from Within. The color was so rich, and the gold detail so fancy. On my birthday, I bought another: Bliss, pinkest pink with roses. I'm glad I bought it then as I can't find it on the website.


The real obsession began when Josh and I went on a bed and breakfast trip to Pittsboro, North Carolina. We went into a magical little shop full of handmade jewelry and other treasures. We recognized the young man working there; he was the night clerk at the bed and breakfast, and he was working at his friend's shop after the local library laid him off. I bought a hand-carved honey dipper for my dad, who had at some point lamented the lack of one when his brother and his sister-in-law sent a jar of their handmade honey. I was arrested, though, at an armoire spilling over with Papaya journals and cards. I bought a card with a tiny white rabbit on a mushroom for my mother. I couldn't decide between four gorgeous journals: Fearless, Trust Yourself, Future Beauty, and Dream Catcher. They seemed to embody courage and wild creativity--qualities I wanted. Josh told me to buy them all, and I did. This sparkles in my memory as a most magical indulgence.


Today, a package came for me. I was late beginning my quest for a perfect calendar. Choosing a calendar is no small task; those images will be with me all year. For other years, I've chosen Amy Brown fairies, black and white photos of Audrey, original Disney movie posters, and fine Barbie drawings (I'm not a Barbie person, but these are lovely). I wasn't sure where to start, and January was almost over. I went to the Papaya website. I was a little reluctant to pay shipping fees, but Amazon didn't sell the products directly.



The shipping was far beyond worthwhile. The package that came today held the Muses calendar. I'd also ordered a plum and gold Shine journal (at a moment when I needed someone or something to remind me to shine), and almost edible blue Starlight sticky notes in an envelop (the ones large enough to write on will grace my desk calendar at work, and the little flags will mark textbooks...little glimmers in my office).


Some Papaya fairy had wrapped these purchases: gifts from me to me. The fairy had also included glittery gift tags and greeting cards--no explanation. I'll be pasting one or two into the composition book in which Josh and I write our love letters to each other. One may also fly across the country to a kindred spirit, much-neglected pen pal. I really can't wait to order something else. This afternoon felt like a little birthday.


The journal covers are sturdy and entrancing, also with a bit of gold foil. The spines will illuminate any bookcase. The pages are smooth and heavy enough to handle most writing utensils. The journals don't lie flat, but turning back to the endpapers is no tragedy.


 I'm a bit ashamed to admit that I haven't actually written in one yet. This is an example of that terrible habit: saving something wonderful for later. I would have liked to write in the Listen from Within journal while I was pregnant with Oliver. If I could only write in one kind of journal for the rest of my life, I would probably choose Papaya. I don't know which one I'll buy next, but it may be Eiffel Tower, Giraffe Notes (the spiral notebooks have colorful, embellished pages!), Owl Dreamer (though owls can be a bit scary, this one reminds me of the tiny owl in Out of Africa), Wishing Bird (look at those pages!), or Invisible (what a shade of blue!). I also wish I could send myself every one of Papaya's funky valentines. What would I write in them? What would you write in a valentine to yourself? And if someone else sent you thirteen Valentines, what words would you wish to read?

1 comment:

  1. This was a lovely post, my dear - more people should read your blog. In fact, all those who do not read your blog - I curse them with glitter in their eyes.

    ReplyDelete