Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

The Study of Joy.

I began a new journal today, a pink, black, and ivory one with the words Live, Laugh, Love, and Journal on the cover. I think of journal as the fourth imperative verb there. On the first page, I wrote "I'm beginning a new journal at last--one that I hope will record much happiness, and more importantly, much effort toward cultivating joy."

Just a moment ago, I remembered that when I was about eleven years old and really devoted to studying the Bible (reading Proverbs and writing down verses and prayers in a journal with gold angel wings--I remember doing that at Great Nanna's kitchen counter in California--, reading the scriptures with the hymns I sang in church, keeping sermon notes in a muted pink binder), I focused my study on wisdom and on joy. These have become focused pursuits in my life since then.

My mother had told me the difference between happiness and joy--that joy in a choice, that it's unconditional, that it's a way of being and living. I wanted to learn how to choose and build and recognize joy. I used the concordance in Mom's gray-covered, falling-apart Bible to find scriptures on joy. I'm surprised how much time has passed since I last thought about this.

From age ten or so, sadness stayed near me like a damp sweater. But at eleven, as I searched for meaningful words on joy, I had not felt the weight of full depression yet. Maybe I knew, unconsciously, that I would need that knowledge, those tools, throughout my life, and I had to start storing them.

The first Elizabeth Berg book I read was Joy School. That book, though I don't own it, has stayed close to me because of the title and because of a little girl character's thought--something like "He will be my joy school. He will be my joy." Those words, my memory's paraphrase, move through my mind often, and I cling to the phrase joy school. Consciously or not, I knew that the right boy would be a joy school for me--joy, not always happiness.

But no boy, however wonderful, can be the only joy school for a real student of joy. Those Bible studies were a joy school as I discovered the idea and continued to seek it.

My quotation composition books are a joy school. I write down sad quotations too--those that mirror my particular griefs--but I focus on the joyful, beautiful, poetic--the real sparkles I want to save in everything I read. I distill books down to the dearest passages and sentences, and I keep them in my own handwriting where I can revisit them, and they can surprise me. Those composition books are treasure boxes, and I always feel a bit of deep brightness when I dip into them.

I've had other joy schools, and I'll have more. I intend to be a dedicated student.

What are your joy schools?

3 comments:

  1. My joy school is you, is Oliver, and is the pursuit of as much and as varied, often useless knowledge as possible

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember when you came to visit in Fremont and we were playing at Nana/Great Nanna's house. You were concerned that I wouldn't want to play with you anymore because I was getting older (five years older than you). I told you not to worry because I would be immature forever. (:

    My joy schools: cooking, travel and exploration, and my Evan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey,
    Saw your link on a comment you left on Oh Hello Friend.
    Just thought I'd stop by and have a read :)
    I love the idea of a Joy School and am going to have to start figuring out what mine are. Instantly, Design, Music and my sisters come to mind. Thank you for planting this seed of thought :) and if you get the chance to stop by I'm at.... http://colourfolia.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete