Search This Blog

Saturday, August 8, 2015

Stay-at-Home Mama Goals

Josh was a stay-at-home dad for almost four years. Some of that time, he was a graduate student, and he has been teaching part-time for a year and a half. This fall, he has a full-time teaching job. Due a newly diagnosed, life-long illness that made my work all but impossible, I have been away from work this year. So Josh and I are switching roles. This will be a major transition for both of us. We just finished our first week. Luckily, perhaps since I've been present more this year, Oliver does not seem to mind the change. But as I was writing in my journal a few days ago, I started thinking about what kind of stay-at-home parent I want to be. These are goals, not rules.


  • Do some art each day. Crayons, paints, markers, pencils, glitter...
  • Get Oliver out of the house each day. Even if it's just to the apartment complex's playground. Even if it's only to the balcony for water play.
  • Limit TV (that is, Thomas) but don't be too strict about it.
  • Establish some daily routines but again, don't be too strict about it. 
  • Get back in the habit of reading children's classics aloud.
  • Read some picture books every day.
  • Read poetry aloud sometimes.
  • Keep up with my own reading when Oliver is occupied. Set an example!
  • Practice being more independent with household and childcare tasks instead of asking for help.
  • Help Oliver practice independence in small ways. 
  • Model habits like reading and exercising.
  • Practice and get better at multitasking. For example, shop with Oliver.
  • Build my confidence in this huge new role.

3 comments:

  1. I saw gel pens in a shop today and thought of you. ❤ love to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw gel pens in a shop today and thought of you. ❤ love to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did many of these things as a stay at home mother. I would add to try not to rush through errands and chores. So much happens from just a trip to the grocery store. Always leave enough time to pursue diversions. I think these were my most precious times with my children .

    ReplyDelete