Search This Blog

Thursday, April 16, 2020

Coming to Poetry.

I credit a brief high school boyfriend with my coming to poetry. 

In 9th grade, I got a bit of a reputation at my small Christian school because I liked boys, and I liked to kiss them. But one boy in particular filled the world with stars for a few weeks. 

When he broke up with me, starlight was over. Many years later, I found out that our breakup had little to do with me, but at the time and for years after, I believed it was because of something I'd done (or been) wrong. 

My grief was massive. I was carrying all this pain and whatever version of wild love a fourteen-year-old girl can experience. 

I began to write poems--dreadful, derivative poems based on show tunes and Journey lyrics. He saw some of them, which is a little mortifying, but it's also satisfying to know that he must have caught some fractured glimpse of how I felt. So the pressure eased a little. 

Because of this experience, I began to see poetry as a container (a glass jar, a cardboard box, a metal safe) that could hold a feeling, an image, or a moment that I could no longer bear on my own. 

No comments:

Post a Comment