Search This Blog

Saturday, April 9, 2022

Stillness & Attention: Week 14.

Day 1: I've been wanting to make more use of our study, a special little room full of books and our two desks. I've fantasized about having a cozy reading chair by the window, but we're broke, and we had an exercise bike and an exercise ball in that space. So I thought, someday. 

But I remembered what my phone lock screen says: Use what you have. A couple of years ago, I bought a turquoise disc chair for our room. I sat there while I did writing workshops. At Christmas, we decided to put up a tree in that space, so we moved the chair to Oliver's room, where we don't really use it. 

So I told Josh my idea. He said I could give away the exercise bike and he'd put the ball in the attic. Done! Someone already picked up the bike. And Josh moved my chair to the study, right by the window that gets morning sunlight. I took a little wine stand from the guest room (a funny little piece we've used as nightstand, printer stand, and more) and set it next to the chair for drinks and books. It's a perfect little reading nook! I plan to spend mornings there.

I didn't do enough reading today, but I did continue Many Waters aloud and send out a three-poem submission.

Bruce and I saw Oklahoma! at DPAC. It was...well, I don't think I'm cool enough to have fully enjoyed it. The dream sequence, the camera use, and the dark ending didn't do it for me. But of course, the songs were good, and the cast was talented. I was especially impressed with the man who played Jud, Christopher Bannow. He was able to make the character both creepy and somewhat sympathetic. I don't know if the original show was darker and the movie toned it down. I may just need time to process.

In any case, we enjoyed soft pretzels, peanut M&Ms, laughter, and showtunes. Only about 10% of the people at the show wore masks, but we did. I wore my comfortable champagne glitter wedges and had a much easier time walking around in Durham. It was a beautiful day, sunny and not too hot. An usher complimented my necklace. I love compliments from ushers! 

Day 2: I've been reading for the magazine and sending out another three-poem submission. I have 58 pieces out now. I'm not likely to get anything back very soon. I'll keep myself busy. I did spend a few minutes sitting in the sunlight in my new nook. Today, I'm washing our sheets and all our bedding. I'll have to pay close attention to the washer and dryer so I can get it all done today. 

Surprisingly, I just received a one-day rejection. That journal is really on top of submissions! I expect rejections a good 93% of the time. They rarely bother me for more than a second if even that. I've gotten hundreds of rejections.

Day 3: I sent four poems to a poetry contest! I've never won a contest as an adult, and I don't expect to win. But I still think entering is good.

I'm writing today with one of my favorite pens (this one from Leah): Pentel Krazy Pop Velvet Starlight, a gorgeous dark blue with gold shimmer.

Yesterday, the boys and I went to the park. Josh and I sat on the turf, and I finished reading Reasons to Stay Alive to him. That's book two for the month. I'll soon read to him What I Talk about When I Talk about Running. And I did finish washing all our bedding, so we have a fresh bed. Our word-covered duvet cover is still bright. 

I received another rejection, and I ended up getting bummed. I don't think it was because of the rejections; I'm pretty used to those. But I told Josh I needed comforting. He came home early and brought The Habit! The burger was great, and I started pulling out of my mood.

Day 4: I had some time with Josh this afternoon, and then, he took Oliver to OT. I read for the magazines and finished reading Frank Bidart's Star Dust. I got a notice that a magazine that has published my work in the past is still looking for submissions for its newest themed issue. I wrote a new poem for the call and sent two other poems that seemed to fit. That is my first simultaneous submission. I don't send pieces to more than one publisher at once because that's a lot to keep up with, but I think this was a special case. Most writers do simultaneous submissions; right now, I'm just trying to get all my work out somewhere. I'll consider simultaneous submissions later. 

Day 5: I spent the morning with Josh, and he made us scrambled eggs. We came up with some goals to keep us mentally healthy. I'm encouraging Josh to read and write a little each day even though he's been in a terrible slump. We're planning to start doing yoga and to try to get more sunlight. I started reading the Running book to Josh as we drove to get groceries. We bought pretty minimal groceries, but the bill was still high. 

I started reading Sharon Olds's Stag's Leap, poems. It's a Pulitzer Prize winner. Snow White and Rose Red is getting interesting. I read a good bit of Voracious, which is late going back to the library. I was pretty tired by the end of the day, but I did read a day of my Daily Bible. I've also been reading an article (or more) from Bella Grace Cozy each morning. I need to finish two more books this week. We only have 40 pages left in Many Waters! I didn't send a submission today, but I did write a poem: "Peter."

Day 6: I didn't sleep well last night. I've been anxious. I did send out five poems and read a story for the magazine, so I feel mildly accomplished. I get a sliver of time with Josh this afternoon. He is taking a few hours off tomorrow so that we can spend the whole school day together. We're going to do some yoga (I have a DVD) and try to get outside. At 7, I'm going to see Everything Everywhere All at Once with Bruce and Corey--a late night for me! I'm looking forward to the company, the sci-fi, the popcorn, and the big soda (probably Cherry Coke). It will be a great day.

Day 7: Josh and I had a good day together. We did yoga (a little comical, but we did it), ate together, and rested. While he slept, I sent a story to a magazine. Later, I finished reading Many Waters to the boys. We only have one more book in the Time Quintet. We'll start that tomorrow.

MW is book #50 for the year. I'm halfway to my goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment