Search This Blog

Sunday, January 6, 2013

Why I Write.

I wrote this for the introductory discussion in the creative writing class I'm teaching:

Writing, along with reading, is what I anticipate and hope for each day. I work hard through the day in order to earn time with my journal. Journaling is one of my greatest joys, and I use it to capture other beauties and details in my life. I use it to explore ideas, questions, and plans and to practice detailed description. Like drawing, this also forces me to pay close attention.

I love the satisfied, chest-opening feeling after I've finished a story or poem, even if it's not very good. I love the freedom and racing sense when I push through inertia and start a story or poem despite the fact that I have no idea what to write. The characters, images, and narrative always come as if by magic.

I surround myself with the tools of writing: colorful notebooks, journals, and pens; bottled ink; books. These comfort me, push me, and remind me who I am.

I've been writing stories since I was five, writing poems since I was fourteen, and keeping a journal since I was fifteen. I dedicated myself to four years of focused study on creative writing and literature in college after finishing my core classes.

When I read, I evolve as a writer. When I eat a great meal, travel, observe a beautiful art work (painting, photo, garden, craft...), have a deep conversation, or see a stranger who seems likely to be a fascinating character, I store all of this, consciously or not, for my writing life.

No comments:

Post a Comment