Search This Blog

Friday, June 19, 2015

Favorites Now.

I've been away from work on FMLA for several months now, and this gives me a little time to think about what fortifies my days and sweetens (or gently challenges) my mind. I'll share some here.

PB Teen Catalog: I've always loved PB Teen (a Pottery Barn brand), and it's my first choice for furniture. But the catalog itself is a gem. I'd love to be on the styling team (or whatever it's actually called). The rooms are like stories because they actually capture the personalities of the imaginary teens who live in those rooms. I don't pay much attention to the boys, but I get fascinated with the environmentalist girl, the wahine who is also class president, the fashionista who loves 19th-century literature. I love looking closely to see what the selection of furniture, decor, books, and objects reveal. It's great inspiration for writing characters or just for reminders to embrace one's passions, down to every labeled polka-dot canvas storage bin (I amass blank journals in a green under-the-bed one I got on mega sale a few years ago!). Get on the mailing list!

Denim Chaise: I worked extra last summer to be able to buy (on sale, again) this gorgeous chaise from PB Teen (of course). Apparently, it's not for sale any more, but it's this shape. It was part of the awesome Emily & Meritt collection, which I could gobble up in one bite. The chaise is under the window in our guest room, which is often my quiet, thoughtful spot in the apartment. I'm a great collector but often neglect to use what I love. I don't know if it's a feeling of being undeserving or a fear of messing up something marvelous. But I've started adding "15 min chaise" to my goal list every day. I just go enjoy the chaise while I read, feast on Pinterest, or gaze out in thought. The denim is soft like lightly worn jeans, and it will go with anything. Right now, I'd like to have pink pillows. I think it's important to have at least one piece of furniture that encapsulates the feeling of home. Oh, and here's a quick collection video that makes me feel calm and creative:


Design Book: I have a big photo album with sturdy pages and protective sheets between. I've had it for eleven years, and for most of that time, I wondered what to do with it. Recently, I started filling it scrapbook-style, mostly with rooms. I'd see a beautiful room in a magazine, adore something, see a scene unfold or imagine what might happen in the room, and I'd tear it out and paste it into my big book. It's nearly full now, so I need to find another album like it. But I love looking at those rooms, displays, corners. They take me to other quiet or exciting places, and it's like having all my favorite bits of magazines and catalogs in one place. I like having it when I can't use Pinterest. But I do something similar there with my Stories of Rooms board.

Pinterest Desks: I also love working on my Deskscapes board. Any beautiful or inspiring offices, studios, craft rooms, desks, or desk accessories I find go there. I ask myself what I could do in that space. Could I write letters, stories, poems? Could I make a collage or dream up some new path for myself? Or who else might create there?


from The Glitter Guide at theglitterguide.com

More to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment