Search This Blog

Friday, January 1, 2021

My Word of the Year: 2021.

 Last year, my word was practice. This was a great word for me, one I'll probably use again another year. It reminded me to keep hold of my pursuits, even when the world started falling apart. I journaled, I read 61 books (over my goal of 56 books), and wrote my first book of fiction. I failed in maintaining my mental health but continued to practice. Practice imparts responsibility but is also comforting. When I couldn't see loved ones or move easily through the world, I could continue building a practice of words, reading and writing. Bruce and I practiced by reading 10 books together. I could have done better last year, but trying to cling to my word made the difficult year much more valuable. 

After 9 years in the same apartment complex, we moved at the end of last year. I'm a terribly slow unpacker, but finding homes for objects makes me think about why they matter--why, for instance, this book came with me to the new house or why I needed another box of Gelly Roll pens. I'm also trying to appreciate our beautiful new home each day. I've dealt with long-term depression, which saps gratitude and joy as well as energy. As much as possible, I want to combat that this year. So I considered the word enjoy as my word for 2021. But the sound and tone didn't captivate me.

So I've decided on the word savor as my word for 2021. I want to savor my lovely home, the quiet time when Oliver returns to ABA therapy, the time I carve out with Josh, every writing tool in which I've invested, every book I read toward another goal of 56 (keeping in mind my goal to finish a total of 1,000 books by my not-so-very-far-away 40th birthday--754 and counting!), each item I unpack, and every small joy that might ordinarily slip by me. 

A new year won't solve the world's problems or my personal issues, but it is a fresh opportunity to savor the good. I intend to take that opportunity. 





No comments:

Post a Comment