Search This Blog

Thursday, December 29, 2011

Christmas I.

On December 23, we drove to Wilmington to see Josh's parents, siblings, and siblings' significants. We all met at Sarah and Adam's house. Adam was hard at work cooking amazing bits, just like he did at my first baby shower. Josh had commented that he wished I wore more skirts. He has often listened to my preferences for clothes, hair, and facial hair, so I tried to pay attention even though it's winter, and I'm usually a jeans-and-cute-T-shirt girl when I'm not working. I wore a gray tweed skirt (just above the knee), a black tank top with white polka dots (a fabulous new Old Navy find), a wine purple cardigan with ribbon trim, matching beaded hoop earrings, black tights, and black knee-high boots.

The food was tremendous--cheese (including fresh mozzarella) and crackers, potato skins (no bacon for the veggie heads), crab and risotto poppers (delicious -- and which Zach lovingly called crab balls), and probably other wonders I can't recall. I do know that the evening ended with homemade chocolate mousse and whipped cream.

Oliver received practical gifts of fleecy clothes and diapers. His aunt Sarah, who is not inclined to sew, had made him an amazing jungle-themed quilt. It will cover his bed when we convert his crib to a toddler bed.

We gave Oliver's Grammy a "granny bag" (canvas tote with Oliver's photo), Grampy a "grandpa mug" (with Oliver's photos) and various prints, Sarah and Adam a World Market gift card (so they can have a shopping date at their favorite store), and Zach and Tina a Chili's gift card.

Josh's parents gave him a joy stick and flight simulator game, a fancy pen and pencil set, and a DVD of his favorite Christmas movie (A Wish for Wings That Work). They gave us a digital picture frame--we're excited about that. Susan usually keeps me well-stocked with cozy socks, and she kept that going in pinks and reds. I also got candles (gingerbread, Vanilla Cinnamon, and Marshmallow Peppermint--my new favorite) and bubble bath and lotion in Vanilla Cinnamon and Be Enchanted. The shimmery purple gel and sparkling label of the latter are worthwhile on their own. The silver branches remind me of "The Twelve Dancing Princesses."

Oliver was by turns smiling and fussing. Sarah and Adam's regular and Christmas decor (silver tinsel and snowflakes even adorned the guest bathroom) fascinated Oliver. He's so observant now, and he's cooing as he begins to want to speak to all he sees.

1 comment:

  1. You do what I cannot - give life to a space through words. It's one of the strongest aspects of your writing.

    ReplyDelete