Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 10, 2023

October Poetry Month: Week One.

This month, I challenged myself to read 31 books of poetry. I plan on repeating this challenge every April and October. This time, I have some library books and plenty of slim (and not-so-slim) volumes on my unread-poetry shelves. It's not exactly a poetry fast (which I've done before) as I'm reading and listening to other genres to a lesser degree. A side quest has been to write 31 poems as well, most of them in response to the poets, books, or poems I've read. I did pretty well my first week.

Day 1: I read The Woman Who Fell from the Sky by Joy Harjo. I wrote a poem called "Misread," in response to Harjo's poem "Northern Lights." It's mostly about how I misread crows in her poem as cows. Ha! It made for a funny image. I also pondered addiction and privelege in the poem. 

Day 2: I read Kim Addonizio's Lucifer at the Starlight. This was a book that Josh bought me as a gift this month. I plan to read a lot more of her work. Josh bought me another of her books, so I'll probably read that this month too! I wrote a poem called Myth for Addonizio, after her book. 

Day 3: In an unintentional connection (I'd already planned my first few books), I read Subterranean by Jill Bialosky, who happened to be Addonizio's editor! I've seen a few links like that this month. I wrote a poem called "My Heart," after Kim Addonizio's poem of the same title. I sent it to Josh and Bruce as I usually do, and I also sent it to my mom. I also wrote a poem called "Overdue," which wasn't a response to what I'd read...just a poem about all my overdue library books! 

Day 4: This was a busy day, so I went for a chapbook: Shopping after the Apocalypse by Jessie Carty. Jessie and I were in our MFA program together sixteen years ago, and we've stayed in touch. I wrote a poem called "The Rings" after Jill Bialosky's "The Circles, the Rings." Her poem has several stanzas that all begin with the line "I don't think it was snowing," so I wrote my poem with the same pattern. It ended up being about living in Boone, about my meeting Josh, and about our ill-advised romance, which pretty much worked out against all odds. Out of a kind of misplaced loyalty to my family, I think, I haven't written much about that. It's time to put aside all misplaced loyalty!

Day 5: My book of the day was Falling Awake by Alice Oswald, an overdue library book. It wasn't a favorite. I'd never read Oswald. This book was mostly nature poems. I usually don't care much for those apart from Mary Oliver's. I wrote a poem for Jessie, responding to the first poem in her Shopping after the Apocalypse with my "Shopping for the Journey," which was a tribute to some things I deem essential and to my friendship with Jessie. 

Day 6: Since I'd read a book by a fellow Queens University alumna, I decided to read The Ladder by Alan Michael Parker, my thesis advisor. This was another overdue library book (I made a purchase request for it), but I think I'll buy a copy eventually because I gave it five stars! I've read most of AMP's poetry books, and this, competing with Elephants and Butterflies, may be my favorite. I didn't write a poem on this day, but I had one planned.

Day 7: This day, I read Love and F*ck Poems by Koraly Dimitriadis. It popped up in Amazon recommendations when, I think, I was looking for Denise Levertov books. It, along with Dimitriadis's other book Just Give Me the Pills, was on sale for about $5, so I ordered both. The poems were graphic, passionate, disconsolate, and sometimes manic. I knew I'd have a hard time responding to that! I had already written down the title a poem the day before, so I wrote "To the Jewish Sir Ben Kingsley," a poem for Alan, responding to The Ladder. It's true; he looks just like Ben Kingsley, and I laughed out loud when I saw that line in his poem. 

So that's seven books of poetry and seven poems in my first week!

No comments:

Post a Comment