Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 1, 2023

50 before 50 Preview.

I'm working on my 50 before 50 list! I'll be 40 in fewer than two years. The list isn't complete yet; I may make changes. I've included some 30 before 30 goals I haven't reached. Most of these goals are related to reading.
  1. Publish or make a major effort to publish a book or chapbook (30 before 30).
  2. Publish at least 30 pieces this decade.
  3. Finish writing Break a Wish.
  4. Write a total of eight books of poetry, including chapbooks. So far: four.
  5. Write a collection of short stories.
  6. Read a total of 50 chapter books to Oliver. So far: 18.
  7. Read a total of 2,200 books (lifetime). So far: 1,053.
  8. Read at least one book by each US Poet Laureate (30 before 30). I think I've read about 15/50.
  9. Read at least one book (if available in English) by each Nobel Laureate for Literature since 2000. So far: I've read Kazuo Ishiguro, Louise Gluck, and Toni Morrison, but I plan on reading more by each of them.
  10. Read all the Penguin Great Food Collection books
  11. Read the whole Anne of Green Gables series (30 before 30). So far: I think I'm on book 6 of 8.
  12. Read all the Dodie Smith books I can find (30 before 30). So far: I Capture the Castle, the Town in Bloom, and The New Moon with the Old.
  13. Read all reasonably available Noel Streatfeild books. So far: Ballet Shoes.
  14. Read all of Shirley Jackson's books and stories.
  15. Read all of Anais Nin's published journals. So far: Nearer the Moon (but I'll read it again, probably next year).
  16. Read all of May Sarton's published journals.
  17. Read all of Louise Gluck's available books. I've read several.
  18. Read all of Mary Oliver's available books. I've read several.
  19. Read all of Sharon Olds's available books. I'm almost up to date.
  20. Read 50 books from the Pitt Poetry Series (lifetime). I think I've only read six so far.
  21. Read 10 Newberry Award Winners during this decade (books I've read before 50 don't count).
  22. Read 10 Pulitzer Prize winners during this decade (books I've read before 50 don't count).
  23. Read all Best American Poetry volumes since 2000. I've read about 7/23.
  24. Read all Best American Short Stories volumes since 2020. 
  25. Read all Best American Food Writing volumes since 2020.
  26. Read all Best American Science Fiction and Fantasy volumes since 2020.
  27. Read all Best American Essays volumes since 2020.
  28. Read all of Francesca Lia Block's available books. I only have a few to go right now.
  29. Read all of Helen Oyeyemi's books. I'm just getting started.
  30. Read all of Anna-Marie McLemore's books. So far: When the Moon Was Ours, Wild Beauty, Blanca & Roja, The MIrror Season. I think I have four to go.
  31. Read all of Sarah Addison Allen's books. So far: Garden Spells, The Sugar Queen, The Peach Keeper, The Girl Whe Chased the Moon, Lost Lake, First Frost. I'm nearly caught up.
  32. Read all of Amy Gerstler's available books. Right now, I'm only missing a few out-of-print books.
  33. Read a total of 800 books of poetry. So far: 271.
  34. Read a total of 200 books of short stories. So far: 79.
  35. Read a total of 500 Cumberland County Library books (if we stay in Cumberland).
  36. Read a total of 80 books with Josh. So far: 10.
  37. Go to Maine (30 before 30).
  38. Take a train somewhere with Josh (30 before 30).
  39. Go to art museums in Washington, DC (30 before 30).
  40. Go back to New York City.
  41. Go to England.
  42. See a Westend show.
  43. Attend AWP once.
  44. Learn/relearn Spanish to fluency.
  45. Take another class with FLB.
  46. Take a dance class (MasterClass counts). 
  47. Take ten classes this decade (MasterClass and retreats count). 
  48. Pay off credit cards.
  49. Take Oliver to a show (30 before 30).
  50. Buy hard copies of all my five-star books.

No comments:

Post a Comment