Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 1, 2023

October Poetry Month: Week Five.

Day 1: Today, I read two books by poets I know: Alan Michael Parker's The Age of Discovery and Joseph Bathanti's Concertina. Both were quite good. I've more or less giving up on writing poems for the month, but I did end up with eighteen new poems, which is pretty impressive. I'm hoping that more will rise as I write down quotations from the poems I've read. I have several composition books full of randomly-arranged quotations from books I've read. It's my way of saving the best bits. 

Day 2: Today, I read two more books of poems: Paper House by my friend and former classmate Jessie Carty and What Is This Thing Called Love by Kim Addonizio. The latter reminded me a little of Love and F*ck Poems but better. I've really gotten through a lot of poetry books I've been meaning to read for a long time!

Day 3: I finally read Amy Gerstler's Index of Women! She is probably my favorite poet. I got bogged down in the first poem a couple of years ago and set the book aside. But I came back to it today and liked it very much! 5 stars. So, now, I have read thirty-one books of poetry in a month! Even with health problems that sometimes kept me from reading at all, I did it! And I think that as I write down quotations, more poems will arise. I want to keep reading poetry often. I think it makes me a better poet, a better writer, and a more complete person. I'm looking forward to April Poetry Month!

No comments:

Post a Comment