Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 12, 2016

The Holes in My Education.

This phrase is from Ann Patchett's book Truth and Beauty. 

Some of these are my own fault for not reading what was assigned to me. Luckily, I read nearly every book in my MFA program, no matter how intimidating they looked. I wish I could I have lists of what my required reading was; then, I could make it up.I have looked at reading lists from other universities though.

I feel the lack of abnormal psychology class--I was a psych minor! And the class would certainly be relevant now. I'm glad I got a cast-off textbook at work. I've learned a lot from my own reading in the last two years, but I still have so much to learn.

I used to have nearly no contemporary poetry knowledge. I went back and back to the same little poetry section at the library, and at least for a while, I felt as if I were familiar with contemporary poetry. I need to read more poetry. We have plenty waiting in the house.

This is to say nothing about math and science, but those don't top my list. I might like to learn about marine biology.

I try to pay attention to names and words I don't know. Life-long learning is daily, sometimes bit-by-bit and sometimes in wild gallops.

No comments:

Post a Comment