Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 5, 2019

What I Love, Appreciate, and Admire about My Mama: Part 5.

81. She homeschooled me for several years so we could travel with my dad and because I wasn't surviving in school.
82. She created assignments that corresponded with my interests (/obsessions).
83. You could say she likes butter.
84. She has cleaned up my post-surgery vomit and eaten soup immediately afterward.
85. She held a newborn Oliver against my face when I was too weak and encumbered to hold him close. That was the first time I really got to smell him, and I could feel the chemicals in my brain going wild--a this is my baby moment.
86. She accepted the vital task of rubbing my lower back while I was in labor. It must have been exhausting.
87. She encourages me to give myself more grace than judgment.
88. The sound of her voice cracks open whatever i'm trying to deal with in silence. So I cry, which I probably need to do.
89. If I say I may need to go to the mental health ER, she acts fine with it, encouraging me to go on and do what is healthy for me right then or to find someone who can help me figure out what that is.
90. She lights up when she sees me. It's mostly for Oliver but not all.
91. When I was a preteen and teenager, I had extreme acne, and she took treating it seriously.
92. She always finds something to compliment or praise.
93. She tired ribbons around my wrists as bracelets when I wanted to play Snow White.
94. She let me dress up and pretend to be Cinderella when I cleaned the house.
95. We couldn't avoid a museum exhibit of taxidermy animals in imitations of their normal environments. Mom remembered that I'm terrified of that kind of display. She didn't tell me to get it together. She told me to hold onto James's stroller and close my eyes; she led me through. It's one of the best kindnesses anyone has ever shown me.
96. She never tried to ground me from reading or writing. I guess she knew I'd fall apart.
97. She can tell if I'm too nervous, too overwhelmed, or too scared.
98. She went dress shopping with me before I married Josh. She found the perfect earrings for me and the perfect tie for Josh.
99. She loves blow fish.
100. She is the bravest person I've ever known.

No comments:

Post a Comment