Search This Blog

Thursday, June 30, 2022

40 before 40 Update.

I have just under three years left for my 40 before 40 goals. I'm not as far along as I'd like, but I am making progress. 

  1. Read 100 Years of Solitude. I still don't know where this book is. I've considered listening to the book on CD.
  2. Read The Golden Notebook. I found the book! It got lost in our move for a while. But I'm not looking forward to reading it. I think I got about one third of the way through it. It sounds like a great book, and it's one I've wanted to read since I was a teenager, but I don't actually like it. I need to start working on it a little each week. 
  3. Read the New Testament (if not the whole Bible). I found my Daily Bible, and I'm somewhere in August. I was doing well with reading it every day for a while, but I've fallen off that. I'm stuck in the Old Testament, Jeremiah. It's not a good place to be stuck. But I still want to try to finish the Bible this year.
  4. Read Dracula. Not yet.
  5. Read Frankenstein. Not yet.
  6. Finish the Harry Potter seriesDone. Bruce asked me to read it shortly after we became friends. I enjoyed it. 
  7. Write 100 short storiesI'm nowhere near this. I've probably only written several stories in my 30s. 
  8. Write a novelI wrote a novella--count it!
  9. Make a new poetry collectionI finished two books of poetry, and I'm working on a third. I also finished two chapbooks.
  10. Attempt to publish at least two booksI have my first two books of poetry under consideration now, and I've sent out the two chapbooks.
  11. Try a magnetic nose studI tried the real thing! It was kind of a pain, and I couldn't get it back in after I got home from the hospital, but it was fun.
  12. Fill more journals than I buy. This is probably happening this year since it's a NoBuy. I've gotten about five journals this year as presents or with birthday money, and I've filled more journals than that so far this year. But I still have a ton of journals, which I like. 
  13. Reduce credit card debt by half or more. I already paid it all off and ran a lot back up, so I don't know if this one counts. I'm working on paying them down, especially since I'm doing NoBuy2022. We'll see where I am when I turn 40.
  14. Reach and maintain a healthy weight. I've lost 15 pounds in the last couple of months, so I'm making progress on this one. 
  15. See a show on Broadway or at the West EndDone! I saw three shows on Broadway last Christmas. It's one of the coolest things I've ever done!
  16. Visit the UK. This is unlikely to happen. I may add it to my 50 before 50 list.  
  17. Keep up with my library's new releases. I have been checking out some new releases that look interesting, so this one is in progress. 
  18. Read all of Ann Patchett's books. I think I've read four (Patron Saint of Liars, Bel Canto, Truth and Beauty, and This Is the Story of a Happy Marriage). I have about...nine to go? Oh dear. 
  19. Visit Ann Patchett's bookstore. This is in Nashville. I don't have plans to go, but I'd like to.
  20. Read all Oz books. We've read seven! So we have eight left.
  21. Read all Wrinkle in Time booksDone! I read the Time Quintet to the boys.
  22. Rent a just-right house. Here we are. 
  23. Attend touring shows each year. I've done this every year despite COVID (just two shows in 2020), and I plan on keeping my season tickets!
  24. Take some kind of classI totally did this! I took a ten-week Healing and Writing class with Francesca Lia Block, a four-week magical realism class with FLB, a con ed drawing class at FTCC, and a four-week YA novel writing class with Emily Colin--all last year!
  25. Try an unnatural hair colorI've attempted to dye my hair green twice, but I don't think I'm willing to bleach it. I'm calling this done.
  26. Read half or more of Neil Gaiman's books. Okay, he has a lot of books. I've read The Ocean at the End of the Lane, Coraline, The Sleeper and the Spindle, and Study in Emerald. I own Fragile Things and Trigger Warning. But I have a long way to go.
  27. Stay at the Wilderness Lodge again. This probably won't happen. Maybe 50 before 50?
  28. Win or place in a writing contest. I've entered several contests in my 30s but haven't won or placed yet. 
  29. Read 10 or more Pulitzer Prize-winning books. In my 30s, I've read Break the Glass, Late Wife, The Underground Railroad, NIckel Boys, Native Guard, American Primitive, and Stag's Leap. So that's seven! 
  30. Read 5 or more books of poetry a year (50 total)Done and surpassed! I've read 105 books of poetry in my 30s.
  31. Try a support group. I haven't really done this, and I don't really want to. I have done group therapy...does that count?
  32. Try Kindle publishing. I doubt I'll do this one before I'm 40. 
  33. See Sparkle Scribbles to 100,000 viewsI'm at 171,169!
  34. Read all Austen books. I own all the novels, but I still have to read three of them. I'll probably try to read the stories as well. 
  35. Read all Bronte books. I've read Jane Eyre, Wuthering Heights, and The Professor (Josh and I read that one together last year). So I still have three novels, and I may try to read Emily's poetry. I own all the books.
  36. Read all Jeffrey Eugenides books. I've only read The Virgin Suicides and Fresh Complaint, so I have a few to go. 
  37. Make daily use of my lovely secretary desk (from Mom and Shane) and denim chaise (for which I taught an extra summer class). I mostly use my desk to store stationery and ink, so I use it often when I'm writing with fountain pens. I play with stickers on my chaise. I need to use both of them more. 
  38. Take Oliver to shows. This may not happen, but I'd like to try if we find something informal. 
  39. Gain more control over anxiety, fear, and dreadI've definitely done this since we are in our new house (no more angry neighbors) and Oliver is in a good school (no more virtual learning...or at least very little). Anxiety is still a problem sometimes, but I am much less fearful, and while dread was a daily feeling, I rarely feel it now.
  40. Continue to sparkle, even if I'm "too old." I'm sparkling at least as much as ever! I just got some more glitter for my birthday. And I plan on sparkling for the next three years and beyond.
So that's 15/40 with some progress toward more. I have a lot of reading to do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment