Search This Blog

Saturday, June 18, 2022

Stillness & Attention: Week 24.

Day 1: Saturday. Josh had to work today because his program had orientation. He didn't have to stay late though. I'd told Bruce to choose our first tiny book club birthday book, and he chose The Other by Thomas Tryon, a book I noticed in the horror section last month. So I started it today. And I finished it. I basically read all day. It was great. I gave the book 4 stars--creepy and surprising with a strong atmosphere. Far from complaining about my being absorbed in a book all day, Josh twice told me how proud he is of all the reading I've been doing. Immersing myself in books does feel wonderful, and it makes me feel like myself. So that's four books this week, which was my goal. It's five books for the month, which is fine. I still hope to read thirteen books in June.

Day 2: Sunday. I was a little down today, anxious about tomorrow. I'll be taking Oliver to the dentist on my own, and I don't know how it will go. 

Day 3: Monday. Today was tough. All in all, it went fairly well, but it didn't feel that way at the time. We took Josh to work so we could have the car. I got ready and told Oliver we were going to his school to pick up some papers. So we went to his school to pick up his summer worksheets (which will mean very little to him, but we'll do them). He was bewildered and wouldn't go up the second set of stairs to the office. The staff brought the packet down to us, and the principal came down to greet Oliver. He seemed relieved when we left. I told him that we were going to put some books in a big box, so we went to the library and returned eight books. He thought that was odd too, but he helped me push the books into the return slot. 

We were home for a while and then left to drive to the dentist, which is a not-so-easy thirty-minute drive. I'm a very nervous driver, especially if the route is unfamiliar. At first, they said we had to come inside to check in, and once I opened Oliver's door, he was determined to get out. So, we ended up walking in 100+-degree heat in the parking lot for about twenty-five minutes while we waited. 

The exam itself was rough. I sat sideways on the chair with the dentist's knees against mine and Oliver lying across our laps. Oliver struggled, bled, and choked. I had to hold him down. I had explained that we were going to a doctor who would look at his teeth and brush his teeth, and he seemed to remember the place from his visit with Josh, but it was still quite stressful. Luckily, the dentist was experienced and quick. As soon as Oliver was recovered, he was smiling again. We made the necessary stop for fries and got to the college just in time to pick up Josh.

Day 4: Tuesday. Last night, I fell asleep the moment I lay down and slept for about eleven hours, 7 p.m. to 6 a.m. That's probably why I've been able to handle this day. Oliver had a pretty thorough meltdown while I was trying to get ready to take him to OT. It involved my trying to play a video for him while he shouted and soap got in my eyes (I'd been trying to take a shower). After about thirty minutes, he calmed down enough that I was able to take him to therapy (I hadn't put on makeup, but I was dressed!), and he did great there. Oliver recovers so quickly from his meltdowns, and Josh and I are shell-shocked for hours afterward. OT in itself is quite a production, and I've considered canceling it. He hasn't made much progress, but that's not necessarily the therapist's fault; Oliver is not really interested in acquiring new skills. 

Tomorrow is my birthday, and I'm mostly just tired. I did finish the thriller Sleepless today. It was okay. 

Day 5: Wednesday. My birthday. This wasn't the easiest birthday; Oliver had two meltdowns (one mini and one full-blown), and Josh worked most of the day. But Josh set aside his workout this morning, and we got to wake up together, which is rare and one of my favorite things. Oliver soon woke up, and we went downstairs. Josh gave me the birthday presents that have been gathering dust in his closet for months. 

London is a Madame Alexander 21-inch Cissy fashion doll. Her line name is Eighties Elegance. She has dark blond up-swept hair with ringlets, coffee-nude lips and polish, and moss green eyes. She's wearing a pale green strapless gown with flowers and embroidery. 

She has a flowering vine bracelet and matching earrings and green high-heeled sandals. I've wanted a Cissy with the classic face style for a long time, and this one is just so pretty. I hope to collect some fashions for her. She's now atop my second journal bookcase.

Josh also gave me two awesome journals. One has a sketch of books and cats; it's a Denik journal from Strand in New York City. The other is a Compoco Born to Shine firefly journal with gold shimmer details and metallic indigo page edges. 


The last present was a Betsey Johnson crown necklace densely decorated with pink, blue, and opal stones. I wore it right away. I love snowflakes, keys, seahorses, and crowns on everything, especially jewelry. 

A doll, two journals, and a necklace--pretty awesome presents.

I also received a package: my mom sent me two ZURU Mini Fashion purses! I love tiny things. These bags fit in your palm and come with itty bitty accessories like compacts that open and have mirrors, perfume bottles with removable lids, and real makeup brushes. They're so fun that I spent a little birthday money to order some more. I plan to use one of my zipper pouches to hold my favorite tiny things so I can look at them when I need a little shot of joy.

My dad was in Charlotte for a trade show, so he came to visit. We got Mash House takeout and met at his hotel lobby. Oliver was happy and pleasant (you'd never know he'd just pulled a wooden picture off the wall and thrown it at me, broken glass, or tried desperately to escape through the front door or back gate) and ate fries, ice cream, and brownie cheesecake. Josh got to pet Dad's dog Buckley. It was a nice visit. Dad and Michelle gave me some birthday money, which will be enough to pay off Oliver's OT bill. But if and when we're in a better spot financially, I may spend a little of it on fun. 

When we got home, we gave Oliver his meds, so he didn't go to bed until late. Josh and I cuddled on the couch, both pretty tired. It's been a long week already. 

Day 6: Thursday. I felt a little frozen today and didn't accomplish much. I've put stickers in both my new journals. I plan to use the Strand one next. I scribbled a lot, read a lot for the magazine (caught up!), and did a few loads of laundry. Oliver got a little high-strung at one point but was mostly in a good mood. None of us is used to Josh working this much, and our whole routine is different. 

Day 7: Friday. I feel lighter today than I have the rest of the week. It's a pretty day. This is Bruce's birthday. We were ten years younger when we became friends: twenty-four and twenty-seven. That's crazy! Our lives have changed a bit since then. Oliver wasn't even a year old! Tomorrow, Bruce and I get to go to DPAC to see Jesus Christ Superstar. Show days are always joyful, and this one will be a fun way to end our birthday week. 

I'm behind on reading. Yesterday, I really only read for the magazine. I'm about one-third through Olga Dies Dreaming, and I'm tempted to give up on it. I just don't care about (or like) any of the characters. And it's quite late. I'm going to return the other two late books; I have some holds waiting on me. 

All right, I took out my bookmark and removed the book from GoodReads. If I'm avoiding reading to avoid a book, it's time to move on. I'm going to be more selective with the books I check out; I don't know what drew me to this one. Instead, I'm reading the definitive edition of Anne Frank's diary. I think I've read the more edited version twice but probably twenty years ago, yet the text is familiar. I want the diary and Wilder Girls to be my final two YA picks for spring. I only have a few more days! And Bruce and I are going to DPAC tomorrow, so I won't have a lot of reading time. It will be a great day though. 

No comments:

Post a Comment