Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Letter to Myself.


I found this post draft with only my name and the images. I think I started it before Oliver was born. Even though I didn't find an actual letter, these images show me what I wanted to send to myself. I'll try to write the letter now; it may help my current or future self.


Becky,

You are so lucky. You may be dealing right now with struggles and pains I can't even imagine. A year ago,  five years ago, I couldn't have imagined the times of disappointment, depression, and fear that were coming. But I couldn't have imagined the joy, life-changing and moment-changing, either. I hope that you are seeing the joy. If you can't see the beauty right now, don't assume that you won't start to see it again.

Hold tightly to your family. Hug too tightly and too long. Gaze. Hold hands. Read aloud. Speak those silly and inconsequential thoughts. Guard against isolation for you and for the ones you love. Showing love can be scary. I know you want to seem strong, independent, and interesting. You are all of that. Loving only makes you more so. Blush. Hold. Ask. Tell. Remember that if you want or need something, and it isn't happening spontaneously, asking for it and getting it is just as good.


Someone has known you and liked you and told you so. You have had a child. You have kissed baby feet that you made. You have taken family naps in a green and purple bed. Lucky. Lucky. Lucky. That doesn't mean you shouldn't seek more joy. It means you should. Seek and accept. Make an effort toward sweetness every hour, even if it's simply noticing the color of sticky note at work. 

You always have something to look forward to. You always have something to read, something to learn, something to admire. Notice. Ask for the help you need. Live where you are. Do something you'll remember. Write somewhere new. Read love letters. Remember to scribble those sweetest words wherever you can. And if someone says something kind to you, listen.

1 comment:

  1. We will bring to you all the love that we have inside us.

    ReplyDelete