Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 20, 2017

Makeup Memories.

I have many early memories of makeup, one because I was involved with plays. Mom made me up beautifully to play the princess in Aladdin. I looked so much like Mom! She did the makeup for other actors too, which I found fascinating.

At one point, I asked her about eyeliner, and she said she sometimes wore purple or green. I was excited about this: makeup could be colorful and expressive! It wasn't only a tool.

But makeup became an important tool for me when I was 12. I addition to being an awkward preteen, I had terrible, painful acne. I cried about it sometimes. I had a crush on a boy I saw a few times a week through church and homeschool groups. Mom took pity on me and put foundation and concealer on me when I was going to see him. Of course, that washed me out, so she gave me a little color too. I was grateful.

Makeup became fun again when I was 16. My acne wasn't as bad, and I discovered Sephora. Mom gave me a sleek black cosmetic bag from Sephora for my birthday. I remember going on church trips and bringing my makeup bag with me, full of tiny Hard Candy eyeshadow palettes; I felt more confident with lovely eye makeup.

So for half my life, I've been in love with makeup--especially fancy brands with lots of color and glitter. It's like an art project every day, and I won't get too old to sparkle.

No comments:

Post a Comment