Search This Blog

Thursday, December 21, 2017

The Many Uses of Notebooks.

For me, a notebook is a vital and magical object. I'm always happy to receive a notebook as a gift or to buy one for myself. When I say notebook, I mean any form of bound paper--journals, notepads, composition books, spiral notebooks, and so on. Here are some of the ways I have used or could use my notebooks.
  • Using it as an overall life journal or as a journal on a specific topic such as gardening or reading.
  • Taking class notes. I have notebooks full of gems from my MFA program.
  • Trying it as a grounding or calming tool. When my students wrote in class, I wrote in what I called my "work journal." I poured out my fears and stress and was able to settle myself somewhat.
  • Making grocery lists. I love top-spiral notebooks for this.
  • Making packing lists.
  • Writing down overheard conversations and observations.
  • Recording ideas for stories.
  • Recording lines or images for poems.
  • Scribbling down quotations.
  • Writing down quotations neatly in multiple colors.
  • Working on budgeting and bill reminders.
  • Writing poem drafts.
  • Writing down wishes.

What kinds of notebooks do you use? How do you use your notebooks?

No comments:

Post a Comment