Search This Blog

Sunday, June 5, 2016

A Book a Day.

In the movie God Help the Girl, the character Eve sings, "I read a book a day like an apple." I like how this connects reading to health.

I read a memoir of someone who moved into Shakespeare and Company. Besides helping to run the store, the only rent was that he had to read a whole book every day and let the owner quiz him.

The thought of reading a book a day is fascinating and fightening. Think what that amount of literature could do to one's heart and mind! It could be magical. How on earth would I find the time to read so much? Maybe I have concentration problems and get distracted too easily. I know I don't use all my free minutes well. If I'm nervous, I can't read at all.

When we lived in a remote town when Josh taught his first year of high school, I was working on my thesis and reading books the faculty had assigned. My goal was to read 100 books that year, but I often finished a book each day. I didn't start and finish in one day all the time, but I usually had a rotation of books going at once. I read poetry aloud, and when I'm really present for poetry, I swim through it quickly. I consider those 100+ books one of my best accomplishments. 


No comments:

Post a Comment