Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 4, 2016

What I Want to Teach Oliver.

My son was diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) at the beginning of the year. So I'm having to shift expectations, do a lot of paperwork, and learn how to be a good mama to him right where he is.

Here are a few things I hope to teach him or help him learn:
  • I would love to teach Oliver to read. I can think of few greater gifts I could give him. I don't know how to do it, but I'll try.
  • I want to teach him to love reading. He often sees Josh and me with books. Oliver already seems to cherish some of his books. Life probably will not be easy for him, but reading strengthens and soothes.
  • I'd like to teach him to cook and sew. Unfortunately, I do neither. Maybe his grandmothers will teach him.
  • I want to teach him ways to manage his disorder. My experience won't be the same as his, but I'm determined to help in small, practical ways. I occasionally have instincts about what will help him in a bad moment. I need to learn more about ASD.
  • I'd love to teach him to love musical theatre. Those memories turn on a light inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment