Search This Blog

Thursday, December 13, 2018

Nourish and Challenge.

I think these are two of the most important tasks we have: nourishing ourselves and challenging ourselves. Challenging without nourishing leads to breakdowns, real or perceived failure, and overall instability. Nourishing without challenging leads to complacency and stagnation. Balancing the two, I think, is a daily and a long-term goal.

When I was teaching, challenges were constant, and I took on more than I had to. At first, I worked even while I ate, and I rarely took the time for anything else. I answered student E-mails at midnight. Working hard felt good until I could no longer withstand it. I was breaking under real and (equally terrible) perceived pressure. I didn't have time or energy for my life-long passions. I wasn't reading enough. I was stuck. Of course, now we know that mental illness played a major role, but I think this can happen without mental illness too.

Now that I'm not teaching, those two goals are still vital. I have to challenge myself: tough books, writing exercises, blog upkeep, and daily learning.

While I don't think I have an eating disorder, I do think I have to be vigilant about nourishment. I need to read books for the sheer joy of it--children's and young adults' books, books on creativity, old favorite books. Reading is one of the best ways I know to nourish a mind and heart.

I also have to work in human contact, if only to talk to another parent in a therapy waiting room. That's both a challenge and nourishment for me. And I need to absorb beauty--art books, great movies, and deep or simply fun magazines.

I'd like to have a coin with Nourish on one side and Challenge on the other.

No comments:

Post a Comment