Search This Blog

Sunday, September 29, 2019

In Praise of Scribbling.

When I was a young teenager, I was looking at Barnes and Noble's reference section, where the books on writing waited. I happened upon Natalie Goldberg's Writing down the Bones.

I'm serious when I say that the book changed my life. Goldberg looks at writing as a practice. She fills mountains of spiral notebooks, often writing in timed, no-pause writing sessions alone or with others. I call this kind of writing scribbling. It usually has no particular direction. It is not product writing (though poems, stories, blog posts, and more can begin in a scribble session).

My students hated "scribbles," at first: 10 minutes of writing, 5 minute break, x3. But a few came to me later to say how much the scribbles eased their stress and helped them learn to express themselves. I wrote right along with them, usually in a "work journal," a spiral or composition book. I used scribbling to push through the day, especially as I became increasingly sick.

Unlike Goldberg, I choose to do my scribbling in beautiful journals. I don't mind filling them with complaints and nonsense. Each journal is a hybrid of the traditional diary and (more so) Goldberg's notebooks. I use a rainbow of pens shades and finishes, but a hotel room ballpoint will do just fine.

Scribbling helps me stay sane, and I believe it makes me a better writer.

No comments:

Post a Comment