Search This Blog

Monday, September 9, 2019

Nourish/Challenge: Week 33.

This past week, I did a little catching up on this blog. It seems silly sometimes. But I think more people read it than I realize. That's a nourishing thought.

I didn't read enough, but I did read a graphic novel by Neil Gaiman and Colleen Doran, a revision of "Snow White." The illustrations are lush and dark. I can't recommend the book as some (many?) would find it offensive, but I handed it to Josh, who read it immediately. I enjoyed the challenge of a genre I rarely read.

But what has consumed most of my thoughts is Oliver's stretches. I have to stretch  his tongue up and back several times a day, so the frenulum won't reattach. We saw Cynthia, who said it looks great--better than 99% of the follow-ups she sees. I cried. It's been so hard and miserable, but it's working. She told me to keep doing whatever I'm during. This has been a major challenge for me, and I'm not done yet.

The hurricane came near, and Oliver's school closed for two days. Two days I didn't have to pull him out of class for stretches! With Labor Day, it was a short week. Oliver started to relax a bit about the stretches. No screaming or struggling, little crying. It got a little easier though he still has a strong jaw and sharp little teeth. But I'm nervous about our second follow-up, which is with Dr. M (the surgeon) herself. What will she say? Will she look at me with disdain or with an unusual smile?

In any case, we've completed two weeks of stretches. I have Band-Aids on both index fingers. That baby can bite.

No comments:

Post a Comment