Search This Blog

Thursday, June 9, 2011

Bee & Bees.

My 30 Before 30 list includes staying in two more NC bed and breakfast...es. Really, I'd like it to be more than that, but with limited funds and a sugar monkey on the way, I've got to be realistic. What's so great about B&Bs? They have personality, the breakfasts are invariably unique and amazing, and the houses are destinations in themselves. Josh and I are more cuddlebugs than energetic sightseers. B&Bs know how to be cozy and how to make their guests feel incredibly special.

NC B&Bs seem to be our thing, but we've actually only been to two together so far. That will change next week (and I'll be halfway to checking off that list item!) next week when we celebrate my birthday and have our "babymoon."


Our first B&B experience together was at the Mast Farm Inn in Valle Crucis, North Carolina. We were celebrating, belatedly, our first wedding anniversary. I had been here before with my parents and brother, but The Loom House, a tiny, two-story cottage, was new to me. It had a cozy bed, a wet bar, and a gigantic jet tub. I was reading Ophelia by Lisa Klein at the time. Though it was April or May, snow was falling when we arrived. Josh built a fire, and I filled the tub with bubbles. We had our special travel candle that smells like vanilla cake. Josh looked at old yearbooks that were in the cottage. The next day, a picnic basket we'd ordered arrived with sandwiches and Newman O's. We felt that we could give up most of our material possessions and just live in that little house where we could see the first floor through the cracks in the boards under the bed. If you want a completely relaxing and rejuvenating experience, try going here. (Image: http://www.mastfarminn.com)



Our second experience was last fall to celebrate five years of being us. We'd never been to the little town of Pittsboro, NC, and decided to check it out. We stayed in the Retreat Room at Rosemary House. The pink and deep blue room was romantic and soothing. A rubber duck with three baby duckies lined the jet tub of which I took full advantage. Getting into bed required a bit of a jump. We explored the town, finding amazing little shops I wish I could still name. I bought Christmas gifts (a jewelry dish painted with a plum perfume bottle, a hard-carved honey dipper) and Papaya journals. We ate at a funky organic restaurant that used to be a garage for buses or something. Josh ventured out at night to bring back dessert. We watched Moon on Netflix in bed. The fruit and cream first course at breakfast made even super introverts like us cheerful enough to chatter with the other guests. This is a great, quiet getaway. (Image: http://www.rosemary-bb.com/)

I'll fill you in on all the details of our babymoon destination next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment