Search This Blog

Saturday, June 11, 2011

My Sleepy Bower.

When I was younger, I sometimes imagined my bed was a white boat on a calm ocean. The soft rocking and assurance of some tranquil destination would help me sleep, especially during those early adolescent boughts of insomnia. (Image: http://mfsavannah.wordpress.com/2011/04/27/take-me-there/)

The bed I have now, which I've already described as one of the possessions of which I'm most proud, is tall and firm with a layer of softness. I always resist practical purchases like sheets, but last year, I outfitted this bed wonderfully with a colorful, blossoming forest-themed duvet cover from Pottery Barn, perfectly silk-soft but durable sheets from Target in dusky purple and grass green, and a matching green bed skirt. Our previous white bed skirt was hopelessly coated with dust and cat hair. This one probably is too, but it doesn't show!

Whatever else you do, have a wonderful bed. Have it even if you have to save and buy piece by piece. Life is too short for scratchy sheets or a depressing and decidedly uncomforting comforter. Make your bed a place for daydreams as well as night dreams. Make it, truly, your dream boat.

2 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more. There's nothing more comforting at the end of the day than an inviting, comfortable, completely collapse into it bed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i just recently fixed my poor bed situation. i was tired of not allowing a cloud of a bed b/c of cat hair. screw it! so i have to maintain it more. it's soooo worth it :)

    ReplyDelete