Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

More Than Just Thinking about Cupcakes.


This was a cupcake-y day. I got those cupcake wall stickers, started a glittery pastel cupcake journal (a good way to kick off twenty-six), and yes, actually ate a cupcake.

My birthday has been spread out this year. It really began weeks ago, and the treasures have trickled ever since. My dear Melissa, who brought into being a little boy in April, gave me a white basket full of registry duplicates: baby clothes, bottles, wipes, and other essentials. This felt like quite the baby trousseau, and I felt relieved to have a few things even though I still have time (but time will rush! I think of the white rabbit with his over-sized pocket watch).

My mother, clad in her champagne dress after her bridal photos, went to Destination Maternity to buy my presents. She gave them to me early (something we never do) because she thought I may as well get as much use out of them as possible.

She gave me white Motherhood Bermuda shorts (I had them in black already), gray Pea in the Pod capri leggings, a Motherhood wine purple, ruffled, sleeveless top, Pea in the Pod ruched tees in emerald and grape purple, and a Pea in the Pod gray-purple zip-up jacket with embroidery and beading.

I can't believe I own four pieces from Pea in the Pod. The price tags make me gasp. Mom took advantage of some amazing sales. The tees are so soft and have such rich color. The leggings make a pajama-cozy outfit with the wine purple top. The jacket is so subtly purple that I can still wear it with red. It stretches enough to zip over my belly but otherwise looks like a normal jacket, so I'll be able to keep wearing it. I think I'll make it my go-to jacket. A jacket may seem like an odd gift in June, but Mom knows I tend to get chilly. She also knows I rarely spend money on clothes I can't wear to work, so these pieces will help me have a fun, cute summer. (Image: http://happinessisonlyrealinfairytales.tumblr.com/)

My brother gave me a Calico Corners Critters set: a white bunny mama with twin bunny babies in a pram. I'm not having a little girl (at least, not now), but I can have girly playtime on my own. And why shouldn't boys like bunny babies?

At my request, Josh's parents gave me presents for Oliver: eight pacifiers, the chocolate and sage diaper bag I wanted, and a gorgeous white security blanket with sage polka dots and a satiny edge. The diaper bag is a great size and has an insulated pocket with bottle holders. It will be easy to keep clean, too, and the chocolate color will mask stains. I can't wait to boil the Nuks and pack the bag! The precious little blanket is just the right size for Oliver to carry around and press to his cheek while he sucks his thumb. I can just see it.

My dad bought me a necklace at a little shop in New York City: Alice's Teacup. It's a silver fairy necklace with a tiny corked bottle of blue glitter. I've actually wanted a necklace like it for a long time. Having something from NY seems pretty neat on its own. I wore it with a green, Celtic-y dress yesterday. I was tempted to pour the glitter on Josh. I could always refill it since I have all kinds of glitter at home. Dad also gave me some money, which made the babymoon more fun. He picked out two perfect cards: a birthday one showing hands cupping white sparkles, and a baby-congratulations one with little green seahorses. (Image: http://weheartit.com/entry/8498678)

My grandparents sent me some money, which I used to buy that great red tank tank and some other new-body essentials.

My aunt, who read on this blog that I like art nouveau, sent me a gorgeous piece from my great-grandmother's collection: a brass seashell with a draped lady languishing in front of it. I'll find a special spot for it in the OLC.

The only gifts I actually opened today were from Josh, but those alone were quite a bounty. Thanks to cheap prices on Amazon Marketplace, he spent $100 to buy me fifteen books (plus the cupcakes). Most of that was shipping costs. This will be a rich summer (I can at least pretend that I'll finish all the books before I return to work on August 1, and life's momentum gets wild). Some of the gifts will help me with my 30 Before 30 List! (Image: http://pinterest.com/pin/2850925

*Adorable "Babycakes" Wallies: twenty-five of four designs (pink, purple, chocolatey, and lemon). See them here: http://www.amazon.com/Wallies-Cakes-Cupcakes-Cutouts-Crafting/dp/B0013EQ24A

*The Borrowers Afield, Aloft, and Avenged. He ordered Afloat as well, but the vendor sent two copies of Afield. Once we fix that, I'll have the whole series.

*An Acceptable Time: the only Wrinkle in Time book I hadn't been able to find in used bookstores.

*The House at Riverton: Kate Moses's first novel. I so enjoyed The Forgotten Garden and The Distant Hours.

*Bed, Borrow, Steal: A Writer's Life by Michael Greenberg. I expect this will be a little less devastating but no less fascinating than Hurry Down Sunshine.

*Bonjour, Happiness!
by Jamie Cat Callan. Having recently gobbled up Entre Nous, I figured I could use another light, cheery, French-lifestyle-for-American-girls book.

*The True Bride by Amy Gerstler, my favorite poet.

*Through the Children's Gate by Adam Gopnik. Paris to the Moon was a wonderful blend of culture, literary life, and family life, so I hope this will be the same...only in New York City. Gopnik's experience of fatherhood is touching, so I hope to convince Josh to read the two books too.

*Time Was Soft There by Jeremy Mercer. This is a memoir about working at Shakespeare & Co. bookshop in Paris. I really don't need to say anything else.

*The Quickening Maze by Adam Foulds. This is a novel about writers and an insane asylum. It sounds perfect.

*Howard's End Is on the Landing by Susan Hill: a memoir about a woman rediscovering her home library and reading her way through it in an year. If you are like me and have mountains of unread books at home...well, I imagine this will be challenging and fascinating. As someone who always feels hopelessly under-read, it may also be encouraging since Hill is an accomplished writer.

*Just Being Audrey by Margaret Cardillo with illustrations by Julia Denos. It's a picture book about Audrey Hepburn growing up and coming into her own. Wonder! The illustrations are irresistible. Josh read this aloud to Oliver and me tonight.

*Snips and Snails by Becky Kelly. Becky Kelly's stars, tiny animals, and fairies are so precious, and I was so excited to find that she has a book just about baby boys. I read it to Oliver as soon as I opened it, and I'm sure he'll hear it many more times.

No comments:

Post a Comment