Search This Blog

Friday, June 10, 2011

Oliver's Books.

One of my goals is to make sure one of us reads to Oliver every day from the day he's born (or very, very close to every day). We're working on that now. We started reading to him once we knew he could hear us.

Josh has been reading Dr. Seuss books to him. We have been calling him our Guff. Josh has also read Skippyjon Jones. I adore that character, and I hope we'll get all the books to read to Oliver. (Image: overstock.com. Art by Judy Schachner. Note the bumblelito.)




I just finished reading The Borrowers aloud to both the boys. I'll read the other books in the series when I get them. Josh and I loved little tiny things as kids, so the Borrowers are irresistible. I've just begun reading The Secret Garden. This is a book I wanted to read again anyway, and it's another that Josh hasn't read. I imagine Oliver being a little like Dickon. (Image: bookrags.com. Art by Tasha Tudor.)
I've also been reading Dancing with Joy, a volume of ninety-nine poems Roger Housden selected for their happy themes and tones. I want Oliver to live and grow in a world of poetry, and these joyful poems seem like a good introduction. Besides, Josh and I can always use a bit of brightening. (Image: ipod.z.gp. Cover photo by Allen Birnbach/Masterfile.)

Besides more poetry and the rest of The Borrowers series, I want to read Peter Pan and Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass to him. I have pretty illustrated versions of both, so I may save those for when I can show him the pictures. Before then, I may sneak in some other children's books he may resist later, like Ballet Shoes. (Image: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaime973/4542757151/)

1 comment:

  1. I love this! I'm determined to read The Very Hungry Caterpillar to my child (when I have one). I love that book!

    ReplyDelete