Search This Blog

Monday, June 27, 2011

Those Unexpected Moments.


I'm taking a few minutes out of the moving madness to write.

Josh and I often have moments which seem normal in the movement of our lives but which we occasionally realize are bizarre. We stop and ask each other, "What would you think if someone told your fifteen/eighteen/twenty-year-old self about this?"

We had two of these today. Josh pointed one out when we were driving home from Monroe today.I had just scarfed some Chick Fil-A (a wonder I don't have in my town), having been so pleased to crave and see the restaurant on a day other than Sunday. Josh had driven through Taco Bell for vegetarian food (which proved to be a waste since I immediately made him park, so I could run in to use the restroom). He'd finished his bean burrito and was ready for his Cheesy Fiesta Potatoes, a side dish completely inappropriate for eating and driving. So I ended up feeding the hashbrown-like bites to him one at a time, getting my fingers squishy with cheese and sour cream in the process.

He smiled to himself and said, "I wonder what my seventeen-year-old self would have thought of this." Josh, who at seventeen could not imagine being married, was driving with a pregnant woman who was feeding him cheesy potatoes. He said, "I would have thought you were very nice to do that and wondered who you were."

The second came tonight, close to midnight. "How about this one? What would your seventeen-year-old self think of you sitting on the lip of a tub with a pregnant lady in rolled-up pajamas...she's shaving her legs, and you're both soaking your feet in--"

"Kool-aid," Josh interrupted.

"--foot fizz," I continued.

He didn't have an answer. I was shaving my legs in this manner because I have never had the balance to shave standing up in the shower, and now, I could barely see what I was doing if I tried. We were wearing rolled-up pajamas because the AC vent is remarkably powerful in our tiny new bathroom. The water was bright blue from the fizz. But all that doesn't explain how we got to the tiny bathroom or much of anything else.

"So much backstory," Josh said. And we are very lucky.

1 comment:

  1. Oh so many pretty pictures everywhere on your blog, love it! =)

    ReplyDelete