Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Moving House, Part I.


I like the phrase. It makes more sense that simply "moving." I find it interesting that Sophia of Sophia's Journal is also in the process. As of today, the old house is empty and clean, and we've turned in the key. Our new house is full of box towers, but it's totally livable. I'm determined to set up quickly (so much more fun than packing but still exhausting) because I'm only getting more pregnant, and the fall semester is fast-approaching.

Last week was a little crazy. We went to the family reunion on Sunday, we packed on Monday, I went to work and to a baby shower on Tuesday, we went to a concert on Wednesday, and I went to work on Thursday. The concert was Def Leppard and Heart. The lawn tickets were a birthday present from my dad. I was a little nervous about going since I didn't want Oliver to be scared. I knew, though, that this would be our last concert for a very long time. I also knew I'd be exhausted at work the next day, but it was one of those events that is sort of a pain at the time but makes an awesome memory. And memory lasts longer than experience.

The lawn was great. We spread out a big Panthers blanket, and I could sit, lean back, lie down, or stand up whenever I got uncomfortable. We sat on the side near the steps to the bathroom. We had the area basically to ourselves. While the local opener played, I finished grading tests. A woman had brought her baby. The baby seemed absolutely delighted to be there. Heart was great, and of course,  Def Lepp was awesome. I got to hear my favorite song, "Hysteria." Oliver did kick a lot, but he got still whenever I sang along. I went to the restroom four or five times and never had to wait in line. I'll just skip over the horror of trying to leave the parking lot after the concert.


 Everything began in earnest on Friday. We loaded the car, signed the lease, picked up the key, and requested utility switch-on from the city. The house had been empty since at least January. When I stepped onto the porch, I could smell the sickening hot mustiness. We started by cleaning some filthy old blinds. Luckily, most of them were brand new. The new paint job was very nice too, apart from the fact that the painters painted over lock holes and painted windows shut. Apparently, the previous tenant got paint happy and painted every room a different color. The kitchen was Kelly green (an odd green stripe remains beside the fridge), and the living room was fire engine red. He even painted the light switches (not the plates, the switches), which are still red. The bathroom was lavender. A little of the paint remains around the sink and bathtub. I noticed something I hadn't seen during my two viewings of the house: the bathroom ceiling is still lavender! I think it's kind of cool and cheeky.

We opened windows as we worked. I swept the weathered hardwood floors and dusted door frames and ceiling fans while Josh bleached the kitchen and bathroom. These days, I prefer tasks that don't require me to bend down. 


He told me that I would be very pleased with the water pressure and the hot water. These are vital if one is a bath lover. I also wish I could test the bath before signing a lease. Unfortunately, my doctor says I'm not to take baths while pregnant, so I've gone without for months. I'm not sure why, but it's probably best since I like my baths hot. Oh well. It's something to look forward to.

The city came out earlier than we expected. The stove fan inexplicably roared to life, and the heat came on. We turned on the AC and ceiling fans. I set out yummy soap and plugged in Wallflowers. I put a different scent in each room, so we won't get used to them and stop smelling them as easily. I hoped that the house would smell better by morning. Josh and I made a good team.

Then, we stopped at Arby's to stuff our starving faces and drove to Charlotte. There, we picked up the moving truck and met Dad and James at Mom's storage unit. A kind woman in a golf cart guided us through the maze. Packed into that bathroom-sized storage unit, I saw the table with my brother grubby baby hand prints (he's fifteen now) and my mother's doll house which I played with. The guys basically had to unload the whole unit to pull out the gorgeous Waverly couch with dark leaves and pink roses. I can't believe we have a couch this nice. Our couches have always been...well, either too old to maintain their shape or just not comfortable, so we didn't really use them. And this one is just so pretty.
We went next to Pansy Cottage (sadly empty of rabbits, but Mom hasn't done the real move yet) to pick up the other luxurious hand-me-downs: Mom's beautiful queen-sized bed with fancy ivory iron headboard and footboard (complete with gorgeous lilac quilt, violet sheets, purple body pillow (a body pillow for my legs and belly at last! Josh uses my green one as a headboard, and pulling it down and stuffing it under the blankets every night is tiring), and ivy comforter and bedskirt; my stepfather's black round table with four sturdy chairs (a amazing step up from our rickety Wal-mart set); and Mom's huge white wicker wardrobe (the top will hold my work clothes, and the drawers will hold Oliver's clothes, blankets, and hooded towels...whee!).

We all had dinner later at 215 on Main. I hadn't realized I was so hungry, but apparently Oliver was because I devoured (as in tore into savagely with a fork and my fingers) about half a chicken. The restaurant's Parmesan and herb fries are truly divine. The servers were so nice to us even though we were sweaty, wet (Charlotte had had a hail storm as we were leaving), and nasty, and we'd arrived much too close to closing time...and I was laying into the chicken like Daryl Hannah eating lobster in Splash.

Dad had some hotel points and had reserved two rooms at the local Hampton. I was resistant to the idea at first, but stumbling into a cozy room with a sofa and a king-sized bed with Josh at the end of that sweaty day and taking a shower in the stone-tiled bathroom were such a relief. The pillows were those magical hotel pillows. I forgot all about moving for a bit and slept wonderfully.

(Image: http://lalalalaaaura.blogspot.com/. It didn't look like this, but it felt like this!)

1 comment:

  1. fast to grab my camera and get outside for a few shots. I'd heard rumours that a reclaimed home was being moved onto the island and suspected that's what I was seeing. low cost long distance movers

    ReplyDelete