Search This Blog

Monday, September 19, 2011

(Maybe a Little [But Probably Not]) Progress Report.

I find myself more hungry (on Friday, Josh went out to find me a sausage biscuit. Twice.), but I seem to be losing a little weight. Sleep has become elusive again. I keep thinking my back, hips, and whole pelvic floor can't hurt much more without really laying me out, but then, they do. The contractions are less frequent and more intense (some have solicited surprised sounds from me...especially when they get really pinchy or rippy just as I think they're winding down). Instead of just in my abdomen, I feel them in my back, pelvic floor, and butt. My heartburn has gotten worse (to the point of water burning when I swallow it), and I've had some rough headaches. Oliver has been keeping up with his exercise routine. Last week, two people at work pointed out that I've dropped.

I've had two big cleaning rounds this week, one on Wednesday and one on Sunday. On Wednesday, I cleaned the bathroom and kitchen thoroughly, including the tub, tub mat, and cracks under the cabinets. On Sunday, I focused on the kitchen and bleached the washer, dryer, and trashcan. Both nights, I worked on sanitizing and organizing bottles and on baby laundry. I cleaned up Oliver's room again on Sunday night; this because I had a third shower--a surprise one at work the day of my last ultrasound.

My coworkers must have thrown it together in a couple of days, realizing that the time was at hand. They planned it for a doctor's appointment day because Josh would be with me (he hadn't started coming every day yet). They'd transformed the little conference room (in which I had my first, frightening interview) with a tablecloth, flowers from around campus, food trays, and presents. Both faculty and staff came even though many had to come and go for meetings. We ate veggies and dip, chips, Pepperidge Farm cookies (!), and rainbow cake with light icing that tasted like Cool Whip. The presents were perfect: primarily bigger clothes, bigger diapers, and wipes. We also got some great books, an Amazon gift card for more books, lots of socks, a tiny neck pillow for the car seat and stroller (appropriately chocolate and sage green), a whole set of story and song CDs, a blanket that says, "Thank heaven for little boys" (great for a Gigi fan like I am), and more infant gas drops. Hooray! The science department got together to buy a whole case of size 2 diapers, and the package decor was two darling wrist rattles: a monkey and an elephant. I can't wait to see if Oliver likes those. Oliver has more warm clothes now, and he won't be naked after the first three, six, or even nine months! I really seem to have made friends at work lately. So many people have been eager to check on me, and the shower made me feel special.

Josh also built the bouncer on Sunday. It was more complicated than I'd expected. I ordered it primarily so that Josh could have a way to pee during the day. It's adorable: bunny headrest, carrot toy with a bee on it. My brother was born on New Year's Day, and I have a photo of him in a bouncer on Valentine's Day.

I've found that the people who wrote that birth class book know a bit. Josh tried pressing on my lower back with his palms during a contraction, and it did help. I thought the idea of a focal point during contractions was silly, but I've found that, when my eyes aren't closed, I use one automatically (a loose thread on a towel, a polka dot on a blanket). So I tucked one of the Oliver-on-a-seahorse cards into Josh's computer bag (he'll almost certainly grab it. I've advised him to leave the computer alone though). It would be motivating, and the colors are soothing.

On Thursday morning, we were up early and ready for our appointment. As Josh started up the car, I happened to look down at the appointment sheet that had ended up on the floor of the car. It clearly stated that our appointment was for the following Monday. Our appointments have always been on Thursday (I built my work schedule around that), and I don't remember the receptionist saying it would be otherwise. We sat, stunned, in the car for a while before going inside and going back to bed. People popped into my office all day to ask how the appointment was. Well, we apparently actually have one today. I wonder if my belly will measure differently and how the doctor (we're seeing a very laid back one this time) will react if it doesn't. I actually don't remember him using a tape measure before. Though it's ever so unpleasant, I'm hoping for a full exam to see if I'm progressing.

No comments:

Post a Comment