Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Never Save.

Never save joys for later. New joys will come when old ones expire. Don't miss what is left before you by hiding it in a box under your bed. It may turn to dust. Some form of light is available in every day. We are ungrateful and self-punishing when we don't seize that light.

Here are some ideas to consider:
  • Wear the jewelry. I used to be afraid to wear the ring my parents gave me when I finished grad school. I was so afraid of breaking or losing the ring, so I kept it in its box for years. Now, I wear it often, right alongside my costume jewelry rings. Even if something bad does happen, a little time of actually wearing it is better than a long time of keeping it in the box.
  • Don't save costume jewelry for special occasions. Wear your favorite necklace with jeans.
  • Use your best dishes on ordinary days. I have a beautifully painted set of dessert plates, and I eat sandwiches off them.
  • Don't save the most delicious book. Dive in now and then find another book for vacation.
  • Don't stop using your favorite eyeshadow because you hit the pan. Keep enjoying it; you'll find a new favorite when the shadow is gone.
  • Don't reserve clothes and shoes for work. I was awful about doing this. Enjoy them whenever you can.
  • Go ahead and eat the piece of chocolate. Your future self will find her own.
  • Don't save a beautiful journal for pristine, brilliant thoughts. Your thoughts are beautiful now.

No comments:

Post a Comment