Search This Blog

Sunday, March 3, 2019

A Tiny Bookclub.

When Oliver was a baby, I read Never Let Me Go, which became one of my favorite books. I lent Mom my copy. She loved it too, and talking to her about the book was awesome, even though we hadn't read it at the same time.

A book club doesn't have to have five+ members and a weekly tea-time discussion.

Bruce and I began our tiny book club (just the two of us!) five years ago, and we have finished 19 books together in that time. We chose the first, Every Day, from a catalog we were flipping through at work during our lunch time.

A tiny book club is nice because if I fall behind, I'm not letting down a whole group. We also sometimes decide to read more than we originally said; Bruce and I can be flexible. We also don't have to find a book that pleases a whole group. Bruce and I usually take turns choosing the next book. We've read a sci-fi trilogy, a huge collection of short stories (LeGuin), several non-fiction books on mental illness (we've learned so much!), young adult hits, smaller short story collections, and more.

It's been so fun, and it provides some structure to get me reading. And I think we get closer with each book we read together. It's a great way to strengthen a friendship.

No comments:

Post a Comment