Search This Blog

Thursday, May 31, 2018

The Princesses We Are.

Growing up, I loved forming connections between favorite characters and some of my favorite people. This blend of life and fiction must have helped me stay grounded in a way. I would often cast people in my mind to play characters in a play I would direct (mostly in my imagination but a few times in reality).

My favorite way to do this was to find matches in Cicely Mary Barker fairies. I always looked for myself in those pages, those child fairy faces. My favorites were the Fuchsia Fairy and the Willow Fairy, but I didn't really look like either of until I had black hair in my early twenties. I found others though. My mother was the queenly Wild Rose. My Keely was the gorgeous Harebell. Just recently, I discovered that Michelle, Dad's wife, is the Iris Fairy. Lately, I feel most like the Rosehip Fairy.

My friends and I also took roles in our play version of the Babysitter's Club. I think I was Mary Anne. I loved being the secretary.

And Little Women! Early on, I saw myself as Beth, quiet, shy, fragile. Keely and her sisters and I took these matters quite seriously. After a lot of growing up, I started to identify more with Jo--she loves literature, writing, and theatre. And I wanted to be as bold and unapologetic as she.

Surprisingly, I don't remember casting friends as Disney princesses or any fairy tale role. My favorite fairy tale in The Twelve Dancing Princesses, and my favorite Disney tale is Cinderella. Aside from being a dreamer, I don't have much in common with Cinderella. I'm no great housekeeper, and I would not long to go to a crowded party. I'm more like Belle in looks and personality--literature-obsessed, a bit fiery, and appreciative of tiny parties.

My mom had always loved Aurora best. Mom is kind and loving, a dancer, and unaware of how royal she is. She was born royal.

Which princess are you Can you find bits of loved ones in other princesses?

1 comment:

  1. I also see you in Ariel as you find joy in small treasures (Look at this stuff! Isn’t it neat?!). You inspire fierce loyalty in a small band of unique friends. When necessary you will swim against the current and you always strive to be the best version of yourself, my beautiful little mermaid!

    ReplyDelete