Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 25, 2018

My Style.

I recently received a free trial from a clothing subscription. The style quizzes and comment boxes made me think about what my style is.

As a teenager, I wore tanks and flare jeans with trainers. Before that, I wore leggings and a Broadway show T-shirts or sweatshirts (my grandfather sent me plenty of shirts).

When I started teaching, I was clueless. I borrowed clothes from Mom, and she helped me put together a small work wardrobe. I remember my first purchases: gray dress pants, a black dress with ruffles at the neck, two black cardigans, and eventually, a statement necklace with faux pearls. I ended up building my style day by day.

Now, I don't wear a lot of my work clothes. Many pieces don't fit, but I try to use the ones that do. My style has shifted, and figuring out how to define that is a challenge. Here's how I tried to define or at least describe my style:
  • I want to sparkle. Glitter, metallic thread, sequins, beading, rhinestones...Seriously, make me shimmer. Everything should glint or glimmer. It's an enchantment that helps me confirm and protect my sense of self.
  • I'm a stay-at-home parent to a child with special needs. I drive a lot, so I have to be comfortable, but I'm also a mental health advocate for my son and myself, so I need to look competent. 
  • I've gained a lot of weight on medication, so I'm building a small wardrobe to use until I lose the weight.
  • I like swing dresses and dresses with empire waists. A-line and flare work for me.
  • I don't wear open-toe shoes. Ever.
  • My favorite colors are purple and green. I also like to wear grays, black, and blush.
  • I go to the theatre about once a month, and I like to dress up for that. I have a fantasy of wearing a different dress to every show.
  • I like Mary Janes.
  • I love cardigans.
  • In pants, I need a curvy, petite fit.
  • I don't like to wear animal prints. 
  • I like long necklaces with cluster pendants.
  • I like statement necklaces (bib) that glitter.
  • I like chandelier earrings. Sparkle!

No comments:

Post a Comment