Search This Blog

Monday, March 28, 2016

Expanding Strengths.

First of all, what are those strengths?

  • Teaching in some way
  • Appreciating theatre
  • Intuiting what Oliver needs (sometimes)
  • Being a reader
  • Telling stories (so I've heard)
  • Connecting with music
  • Showing affection through gifts
  • Writing practice

I would have loved to teach Theatre Appreciation. Maybe something like that will happen someday...continuing education classes? I've sort of been teaching Bruce, or it started out that way. He's a great pupil. I'm also strengthening my love of theatre by going to so many shows that are new to me. I let them surprise me.

I think my sense about Oliver will get better as I stay home with him. My mom says no one will understand him the way I do. I need to feel important that way. But I have a lot to learn; I need to read more about autism and highly sensitive children.

The best way for me to expand my reading is first to find blocks--an hour or so--to make progress but also to use tiny bouquets of minutes.

I get lots of story-telling practice when I go on walks twice a week with Bruce. He even lets me retell stories he's already heard!

I listen to showtunes while I get ready. This makes getting ready easier, and it has definitely strengthened my connection to music. I listen in the car and while I'm doing dishes. It adds a layer of richness to tasks and thoughts.

Gifts are my love language. I wish I had money to set aside just for giving gifts to people whenever I feel like it. One of the best feelings is really getting a gift right. The whole room changes for a moment.

I write at least two pages a day in my journal, and I also write in response to prompts. These are my writing practice right now. I intend to add product-based writing (poems, stories, essays), but right now, practice-based feels most important.

No comments:

Post a Comment