Search This Blog

Thursday, March 17, 2016

Thoughts of Ships.

"A ship in port is safe, but that is not what ships are for."
Grace Hopper


I think I can apply this most to my writing. Poems and stories are safe in my files, but they, or some of them, ought to be out. More than that, I'm thinking of the tiny story seeds and the memoir bits in my mind an on my paper--but only journal pages. I should bring them out and see what color they turn as they contact air. My journal is my own, but even then, I use some material for blog entries, and I should probably do more than that. Or more of it. Write letters, maybe. Submit work. Words should spend some time in the world. Life is not likely to get easier.

I've also been working on letting my kind thoughts about people come out in words. I guess it never occurred to me that people would want, need, or even accept those words. But I just pretend that people do and will, and that's usually what happens! I could store those words up in bottles with my loving feelings, but the words don't belong to me. They belong to the people near me.

 http://data.whicdn.com/images/230064033/superthumb.jpg

2 comments:

  1. "Life is not likely to get easier." So true. I have a tendency to put things off because I'm too 'busy'. I will never not be busy and it's good to admit that.

    ReplyDelete