Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Finding an Oasis.

The finding isn't always easy. Certain Block books are that for me--Dangerous Angels and Necklace of Kisses for sure. That's why I re-read them. They stuffed with rich details that soothe and excite me, making it seem okay to see the world that way and reminding me that some of the dark is as nurturing as the light. They move me to explore again. Some of her other books probably qualify too, such as Ruby an others I haven't read in so long. My mind fills with strange spills of velvet, fairy lights, and warm vegetable rice. Many of her more recent books dip heavily into the dark and are more risk than rest.

Places where I feel comfortable an not on high alert: my demin chaise under a big window, the TGI Friday's near Durham Performing Arts Center, my mom's gray sectional, and my bed under at least four blankets.

My quotation notebooks are stuffed with magic bath bombs of words and images, and reading a random page is a little fireworks show--the wonder of a book or a person distilled to just a handful of words.

I guess we have to do our own seeking and even creating an oasis. But of course, sometimes a gift comes--a person, book, event, or memory that makes you flow and flower.

No comments:

Post a Comment