Search This Blog

Friday, November 9, 2018

As a Parent (with a Guest Writer!).

Josh and I worked on this together.

Josh:

As a parent, I want to be sure that 
  • Oliver can see himself in others.
  • Oliver knows that I love him even if he’s never able to understand what the words mean.
  • Oliver can express his emotions in healthy ways.
  • The world Oliver inherits doesn’t break his heart as much as it breaks mine.
  • Oliver can recognize fear and not feel that he must react to it with anger or violence.
  • I want to be sure that Oliver can interrogate his own emotions.
  • Oliver knows that he’s not the only one who is afraid of the noises, sights, and sensations around him.
  • Oliver can express his feelings of affection. 
  • I want to be sure that Oliver sees beauty in the world and understands that it must be protected.
  • Oliver understands that when I die, I didn’t abandon him and that I didn’t want to leave him.
Me:

As a parent, I want to be sure that
  • Oliver never feels a lack of affection from me.
  • I give Oliver as many hugs and cuddles as he needs.
  • Oliver knows about my illness in a way that makes him more aware and more compassionate.
  • As much as possible, I fill his mind with beautiful thoughts and memories.
  • Oliver grows to love books and reading.
  • Oliver eats enough (a tough one!).
  • Oliver learns how to be kind to others.
  • Oliver accepts his autism and does not get discouraged.
  • Oliver always feels loved and supported.
  • I do all I can to help him choose and be a respectful, gentle, and loving partner.
  • I help him lead a substance-free life until he is old enough to have alcohol in moderation. 
  • I say no only when it really matters.
  • I teach him the value of patience by letting him wait.
  • I learn him learn to appreciate and moderate his emotions. 
  • He knows how much people love him.
  • He knows he can tell me anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment