Search This Blog

Sunday, November 4, 2018

Wearing Green.

Some years ago, I wrote a short story with this title. A young man goes to a party and meets a girl who believes that wearing green empowers and protects her. Green has been magical for me sometimes too.

In 2009, I graduated from Queens University's MFA program. Part of my final residency was a public reading from my thesis. My mom said I could wear her silky emerald button-down, which I loved. I felt striking and confident, and my reading went well.

At the college where I used to work, I ended up giving a seminar on workplace English. It was the end of a long day, and everyone would be there--faculty, staff, administration. I wore a black suit with elbow-length jacket, and I pulled my hair back. I wore a Kelly green button-down. The presentation went well.

My last example is from my dad's wedding. A parent's wedding is weird at best, and I didn't know what to expect, especially of myself. I couldn't find a good dress to wear, and I needed to feel calm and confident. I decided on an ivory jacket with ivory pinstripe pants. I wore them with a moss green V-neck and my favorite shoes--green wedge Mary Janes (they've since fallen apart--I miss them!). Everything was okay.

I should wear green more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment