Search This Blog

Monday, January 15, 2018

A Bold Reader: New Year, Week 2.

Books surround me, both literally and figuratively. Reading is both a joy and a matter of responsibility to my own mind. I want to stretch and strengthen my mind and my reading. Each serves the other.

I finished reading Mental by Jaime Lowe. I learned about lithium and about how bad manic delusions can get. My own grandiosity and delusions have been relatively mild--at least, that's what I think. As I told Bruce, I could touch the edge of Lowe's narrative, seeing who I could have become and still may become. Though I've never seriously wanted to go off my meds, this book reminds me why I must not. Mental is also my first finished book of 2018! I hope to pick up the pace and finish a book once a week.

I'm still working on my other books--I need to make more time for them. I've read two weeks' worth of the Bible. And I'm reading poetry in the bath every night--candle, bubbles, and three books of verse make a good nightly ritual. And though I usually only read one poem for each book per night, I will finish them eventually.

Though I don't really need to add books, I'm going to replace Mental with French Women Don't Get Fat. A few years ago, I had no interest in the book, but now, I'm trying (not very hard!) to lose weight. Plus, it's a French lifestyle book! I did like Guiliano's Women, Work, and the Art of Savoir Faire. I just love anything about living like a French person. My parents have me Entre Nous many years ago; that's probably how the obsession started.

Some of my GoodReads friends have already read three books this year! I have some catching up to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment