Search This Blog

Friday, January 12, 2018

Sitting up for Poetry.

I've come to believe that a day is better with poetry in it. I need the rich images and the perfectly-chosen words. I need the sound of the words, beautiful despite my flawed voice. Poetry can put a sheen on everything or make me feel brave and less alone. I hope to be a life-long poetry reader. My MFA classes introduced me to a gorgeous world of poetry about which I knew nothing. I still know so little.

In my experience, poetry, regardless of its age, is not an easy read. Old poetry may be difficult to understand, and while contemporary poetry may be more accessible, it rarely has the rhyme and meter that many people expect.

When I taught literature and creative writing, I told my students that contemporary poetry was an acquired taste. I've acquired it, but as I recommended to my students, I still read poetry aloud.

Recently, I was lying in bed and decided to read a few poems, holding the book up over my face. I couldn't focus my eyes or my mind. I sat up in bed and read easily. I laughed. Apparently, poetry expects me to sit up when I read. It's a sign of respect and focus. It tells my brain that this is important and requires my full attention. And that message makes the reading easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment