Search This Blog

Monday, January 8, 2018

Bold Reader: New Year, Week 1.

Yesterday, I finished my first week of reading the Bible. That may be the most daunting of books! My mom has read the whole Bible every year for many years. I asked her to give me The Daily Bible for Christmas, so I could read it with her this year. Josh joined in too! What varied perspectives we have. It's quite an undertaking, though, especially after such a rough reading year. But the Bible will be the 50th book I finish this year. I have to be a bold reader, and a disciplined one, to reach this goal.

I'm reading several books at once. This works well for me sometimes. When a book becomes difficult, I pick up another, so I can take a break but keep reading. Here's what I'm reading now:
  • Roller Skates by Ruth Sawyer. This is my current children's book for my winter focus.
  • Mental: Lithium, Love, and Losing My Mind by Jaime Lowe. This is the book I'm currently reading with Bruce. Reading a book about my mental illness can be enlightening but also overwhelming. Still, I want to learn and feel less alone.
  • The Broken Way by Ann Voscamp. I'm reading this because I loved her first book. It's not easy to read, but I'm almost half way through it.
  • Uniquely Human by Barry M. Prizant, PhD. My darling friend Melissa recommended this book on autism. I've not gotten very far yet but the case examples are so interesting and sometimes familiar. 
  • Donald Hall's Selected Poems (White Apples and the Taste of Stone)
    Book of Poems
    by Federico Garcia Lorca, dual language
    Best American Poetry 2010 (my favorite poet, Amy Gerstler, is the editor)
    I read one poem from each book every night, always aloud. Reading poetry is always bold.

No comments:

Post a Comment