Search This Blog

Monday, January 22, 2018

To My Husband on His Birthday.

Josh and I met in college theatre and poetry classes. I asked him to read a thematically difficult poem to the class, and he did it without hesitation. I thought he was a good poet, and I respected his comments on my poems. We were 20.

About a year and a half later, we got married. His champagne tie matched my lacy dress. We've never regretted our court house wedding with just parents, siblings, and my darling friend Melissa. We had jumped on my brother's trampoline that morning.

Today, Josh is 33. He's teaching an English class at the local community college right now. We've done a lot of growing up together. He was diagnosed with narcolepsy. I was diagnosed with postpartum depression and later with bipolar disorder and panic disorder. We had a son through a harrowing birth. Our baby was diagnosed with autism a few years later. We've lived through many other disasters and tragedies. We're still alive and still together. Here are some of my favorite things about him:
  • He's a patient and energetic father. He's taken Oliver to the park (actually many local parks) countless times.
  • He works so hard. When I could no longer work he took over and has taken care of us, working as much as possible.
  • He has a great sense of humor. He laughs freely and knows what will make me laugh.
  • He's generous. He wants me to have everything I want, and he always thinks well of me.
  • He's a bold reader. He could read anything. And sometimes, he reads books I've just finished. He sets a good example of reading for Oliver.
  • He has a talent and great patience for genealogy. 
  • He supports my reading and writing, staying aware of what I'm reading.
  • His curls are adorable.
  • I love his face when he laughs.
  • I like the way he types.
  • He is always gentle.
Happy birthday, my love.

No comments:

Post a Comment