Search This Blog

Saturday, January 20, 2018

Lost Treasures.

I'm interested in how some objects stay with us and others disappear. Objects can represent a whole relationship or phase of life. Here are a few of my lost objects:
  • My white and pink roller skates. I skated so much in our church gym with my friends, some of whom had the same skates. My dearest friend Keely and I put on a production of Starlight Express with her sisters on roller skates in the garage. I wonder what ever happened to those skates. Meanwhile, Bruce and I need to get brave and go to a rink. 
  • My imaginary pet turtle, Sheldon. He was a keychain, and he bore the hole in his leg after Mom cut the chain off. She gave me the idea for his name. I kept him in an old fish home. I can't imagine the moment of throwing him away. Where could he be?
  • My original Flower Fairies book. I think my grandparents gave it to me, and it had a huge impact on me. I made the mistake of lending it to someone, and I've not seen it since. But several years ago, I did buy myself The Complete Book of Flower Fairies.
I did, however, find some of my treasures. Several years ago, my parents were cleaning out the garage and found
  • The book The Story of Holly and Ivy. I discovered the book at my elementary school library. Mom found a copy for me. The illustrations still thrill me.
  • My Harriet the Spy notebook. I was obsessed with writing before I read Harriet, but she nudged me to write often and be observant always. The green spiral notebook is full of dialog and description. I love that I saved that notebook.
Think about your lost or found treasures.

No comments:

Post a Comment