Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 21, 2018

The Fairy Nightstand.

When I was 12 or 13, I had an idea for my little nightstand. I took an old Cicely Mary Barker calendar and cut out illustrations. I filled a pan with water and glue and took the nightstand to the backyard. I sort of decoupaged the fairies onto the nightstand, using background flowers and leaves to fill in the gaps. It was beautiful. It was hard to clean, but it held up for years. I had had it until several years ago when Josh and I bought matching nightstands.

I think of other creative work I did as a child and teenager, and I want to honor that (Honor would be another great word of the year!). When I was younger than 12, I organized and directed plays to perform with my friends. I was a bit of a tyrant, but those are some of my favorite memories.

I began writing poems in earnest at 14. I was expressing a broken heart, but that bought me into the world of poetry.

As a teenager, I started making collages. Heavy watercolor paper, paint, patterned paper, stickers, magazine images, glitter, charms. I should make one again.

I cherish these memories, and I want to make more.

No comments:

Post a Comment