Search This Blog

Thursday, March 22, 2018

Wearing Out My Dance Slippers.

My favorite Disney movie is Cinderella, but my favorite fairy tale is "The Twelve Dancing Princesses." I love the enchanted forest and the row of silky dance slippers worn to ribbons. I love how the girls (though cursed in some versions) are able to dance all night. Think of the poor cobbler!

So I'm thinking of worn-out dance slippers as a metaphor for living life fully, passionately, and bravely...though apparently limitations and beyond, and for seizing joy. The worn-out slippers also represent putting caution aside and not saving anything for some other dance in the future.

I'm trying to use what I have when I have it, using my favorites without hesitation. I tend to save my favorites, thinking I'll need them more later or thinking I don't have the right to use them yet. But those princesses didn't worry about saving their slippers for the next night. I try to read what I want to read when I want to read it, to wear my favorite clothes or accessories without hesitation, and simply to indulge in what is already mine.

Once at an antique store, I saw a gorgeous pair of lilac ballet slippers. I'll hold that image in my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment