Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 7, 2018

Entertain, Educate, and Enrich.

This is a good trio of words. I think everything we experience should accomplish at least one of these tasks, but preferably two or even all of them.

As a teacher, I knew I had to educate my students, but I hoped to enrich their lives as well, simply by giving a worthwhile piece of advice, a clip from a great movie they hadn't seen, a contemporary and accessible poem, or a new insight about themselves. And when I educated well, it didn't end with the course material; I wanted to teach them a few lovely new words, a new confidence in their strengths, and even an understanding of their weaknesses. On lucky days, I think I entertained the students also--making them laugh or forming their essay ideas into a massive web of words on the board. On the best days, I did all three. Of course, I often failed and probably did none of the three. But I like now having the words for what I was trying to do.

Josh can do all three with me. He educates me when I ask; he knows so much on topics about which I know nothing. Our time together enriches my life, even if we're just watching a silly video together. And he entertains me, well familiar with what makes me laugh.

The best books do all three though they educate gently.

I'm not a teacher anymore, but I'm still a wife, mother, daughter, sister, friend, and advocate. I hope to take opportunities to entertain, educate, and enrich through my roles.

No comments:

Post a Comment