Search This Blog

Sunday, February 11, 2018

Reading Dance Card.

Choosing the books I want to read and in what order reminds me of dance cards--so many slots per event, each dedicated to a dance partner's request.

I'm reading several books at a time. Once I finish one book, I decided whether to replace it or just reduce the number of books I'm reading at once. If I replace the book, I have to choose the next book, probably of the same kind (fiction, non-fiction, poetry...), with careful thought. I only have so many spaces on my current card. But of course, I sometimes choose a book based on whimsy--a spontaneous dance.

I like looking back at the card (via GoodReads, usually) and seeing what I experienced and how pleased I was with my choices. I can't read everything, and I can only read so many books at once. But lately, I've been able to shoulder an usual number. Right now, my card is full with

3 books of non-fiction (autism, hygge, and grief or trauma)
3 suspense novels
3 books of poetry (two small collections and an anthology)

I finished one non-fiction book recently and decided not to replace it. But I love the expanse and variety. I don't read every book every day, but I try to come close. My dance card is full, but that's only for now. I wait for new literary dance partners.

No comments:

Post a Comment