Search This Blog

Sunday, February 4, 2018

A Poetry Fast.

I hear about juice fasts and juice cleanses. I don't know if they are healthy or effective, but I don't think I could try one. An idea came to me though. What about a poetry fast, or even poetry cleanse? No news articles, no blogs, no novels, no memoirs, no stories. I think I have enough poetry in the house to last, and good poetry also welcomes (even demands) rereading.

That kind of immersion is powerful. I feel I'd be a better communicator (reading and writing) in the language of poetry. I think I'd feel lighter. Maybe I would start writing poetry again.

Maybe this year or next year, I'll choose a month and try it. I'd find all my unread poetry books (including the big collections) and set them apart. Josh could bring me books from the college where he works if I started to run low.

Maybe the fall would be a good time. My fall focus is memoirs, and maybe poems are like memoirs. I'd also be pretty secure in my ability to reach my GoodReads goal by that point, so no rushing. October or November (I'm not likely to write a novel in November this year). Of course, I'd still read my Daily Bible, and much of it is like poetry.

I imagine myself emerging from the poetry fast more mentally graceful, more serene, and more courageous (good poetry is usually a bit frightening!). It would also be an experience I'd always remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment